very very annoying HDD noise because drives wont spin down

Cypher007
Beginner

ive got the current setup:

2x hitachi 4tb nas drives

Z490 motherboard

latest RST driver

server 2019

if i set hdd spin down in windows server or windows 10 the raid array ignores it.

how to fix it?

also the latest RST drivers seem to use an app, which server 2019 doesnt support. can we have the old style program also?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Cypher007,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.     

To better assist you and please provide the following information:

• What is the configured RAID in your system, or how are you setting the RAID?
  • Please provide the version of your operating system.
  • Please provide the exact model of your motherboard.

In order to gather the necessary information to troubleshoot this behavior please run the following tool and attach the reports generated:

Intel® SSU Download link  

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-  

1. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 
  2. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos
Cypher007
Beginner

sorry been busy. please find attached file.

0 Kudos
Cypher007
Beginner

can other users see that attachment? not sure so deleted the network section.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Cypher007,

Thank you so much for the update and the information provided.

Based on the behavior, I do not consider that this matter is directly related to the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

This could be related to the SATA controller, board, or even the BIOS.

I would recommend checking the motherboard manufacturer website in order to update all software/firmware.

Please check the following link to download the latest updates for your motherboard.

Hopefully, after updating the software provided by the motherboard manufacturer, the changes will take effect on your array.

That being said, we consider that you would need direct assistance from the motherboard manufacturer, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Cypher007
Beginner

ok update:

if i turn off the Intel RST, removed the drivers and use ahci, hdd spin down works in windows 10. which it didnt before.

as this board is a Z490 "INTEL" chipset surely the issue lies with the driver? ive found several threads saying the same thing that essentially after about version 13 of the driver hdd spin down doesnt work.

with regards to server 2019 not spinning down, im now looking at power settings between the 2 OS's.

0 Kudos
Cypher007
Beginner

Ok given up on intel raid, it was holding me back if I wanted to switch to AMD, so I’ve moved all the data over to windows software raid. This has fixed the need for the app that doesn’t work in server 2019 and the spin down works in windows 10.

will continue to try and suss why server still won’t spin down.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am willing to bet that the issue is that RST is continuing to poll the drive for S.M.A.R.T. notifications. These polls are active operations and will, unfortunately, cause the drive to spin back up if it has spun itself down. RST needs to be modified to ascertain whether the drive has been spun down and not send any S.M.A.R.T. polls until the drive is spun back up for some other reason.

...S

0 Kudos