Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

z97 with IRST 15.8.1.1027 installed , how did I do this?

pmcca7
Beginner

Hello

this is kind of strange, I just upgraded my win7 asrock z97 anniversary edition to Win 10. So I am checking drivers, and found that I was running IRST 15, I looked on line and it appears I am not supposed to be able to run this edition. From What I read the 9 series is not supported in IRST 15 .

I really do not want to reformat and reinstall a 12 tb raid ( I don't think I have that much storage . BTW have you considered copying the Wikipedia chart showing compatibility , it is much easier than reading all the readmes for the last 5 versions of IRST.

First why didn't the application prevent me from installing if it was not compatible?

Second this has been running for years, AFAIK I installed it with the Win 7. Do I have to Down grade? can I down grade? Is it safe to continue?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello pmcca7,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities.

We appreciate your feedback about the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) compatibility chart.

In this case, what we would recommend you try is uninstalling your Intel® RST software and then installing the version 14.8.0.1042 which is compatible with the "Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller".

You can uninstall the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology from Programs and features, by following these steps:

1. Right-click on the Start button or press the Windows key + X keyboard combination.
  2. When the menu opens, select Control Panel.
  3. Under Programs, please click on the Uninstall a program option.
  4. Right-click on Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.
  5. Click Uninstall and agree that you want to allow the application to make changes on the device by clicking on Yes.

After you uninstall the application, you can download the version 14.8.0.1042 from the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

This change is not supposed to affect your RAID configuration, because is only a change of your Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and not on your BIOS, however, we always recommend to do a back up of your information.

We understand that the application did not prevent you to install it in a non-compatible chipset, it was probably a software limitation at the time. However, we can not assure you if any error will occur in the future, so you could try doing a downgrade to the version that supports your Intel® Z97 Chipset.

Note: We recommend you to use your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) drivers, in this case, AsRock. But if they are not available, you can use the link provided above.

Best Regards,

Abigail G

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation.

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello pmcca7,

Please let me know if the information provided was helpful or if you have more questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Abigail G

0 Kudos
pmcca7
Beginner

Abigail:

thank you for your help,.I have arranged time to do this either Thursday or Friday. Just one question, If I unistall the drivers for the sata, will I be able to access my boot drive

that is in Sata 0 and the raid is in 2-5

regards

Pmcca7

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello pmcca7,

Thank you for the updates.

By deleting the RAID software does not produce any issue to the drives. In this case, the RAID structure is kept through BIOS level. So yes, you will be able to access your boot drive.

Best Regards,

Abigail G

0 Kudos
pmcca7
Beginner

Hello Abigail

thank you for your help. One last question . I notice you recommend version 14.8.0.1042 which is from 2015. The latest version appears to be 14.8.16.1063

which is from 2019... is there a reason you are recommending the older patch?

Thanks again

Paul

0 Kudos
pmcca7
Beginner

Also looking at the asrock website they have 14.6.X for download, however the raid install manual says download from Intel the latest version.

Also your link appears to only have the floppy version were as the latest has the full version

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello pmcca7,

We recommend using the drivers provided by your OEM since those are specifically customized for your computer hardware/software specifications and needs, but if your OEM recommends using the Intel® generic drivers and your system won't be affected on the performance/behavior, then feel free to install the drivers from our website.

You can use both, the 14.8.0.1042 or the 14.8.16.1063, both of them are compatible with your chipset and OS, so feel free to try with the most recent version.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
pmcca7
Beginner

Hello:

I am at 14.8.16.1063. So now I am a little confused . I uninstalled 15.X and the D drive ( raid) was still there . So can I assume that the IRST software is just a GUI to modify the raid while in Windows?

A couple of questions for the future and I will let you go

Can I take my drives, insert them in a new Intel Chipset, and configure as a raid and be able to see the data ?( that I suspect this is a long shot)

I see this patch is from 3/2019 ,is version 14.X going to be supported for a while longer? is it scheduled for EOL and I should make plans?

I realize this system is coming up for 5 years old, but it does what I need . Funny never though I would say something like that about computers

in 1995 I had a 486 ( win95 release) , by 2000 it was P3 900... and a 486 was would not even be close to except-able LOL.

0 Kudos
pmcca7
Beginner

Oh ans I forgot to say thank you .

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello pmcca7,

I am glad to know that you were able to install the version 14.8.16.1063 successfully.

That is correct, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is a software that will allow you to make modifications on the RAID configuration while in Windows®. Hence, by removing/updating this software your RAID configuration won't be affected, cause this configuration is saved in the BIOS.

Regarding your second question, yes, you can move the drives to a new chipset without losing your RAID configuration or losing the data saved on the drives. However, is important to mention that you will need to enable RAID from your BIOS configuration, right after you install the drives in the new system, before even booting into Windows.

As well, it would be important to check that the new chipset will support your RAID configuration. What I mean is, that the chipset supports the RAID volume that you are using in the actual chipset.

Note: For any change that you will do on your hardware/software we always recommend to do a back-up of your information. Since there is always a risk of losing information with any error presented during the changes.

For now, we don't have an estimated time to end the support for this software and we will prompt you to update if necessary. Since this driver was released 3 months ago, we can tell that it will be working for a couple of more months. Our recommendation would be to keep checking our Download Center to see if an update is released.

Please let me know if this information is understandable or if there is any detail that you want me to clarify.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello pmcca7,

I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
pmcca7
Beginner

thank you so much for your help... please feel free to close the case complete

that is so cool I can move my raid to new hardware ,,,,

0 Kudos