oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.

Installed Fortran version

gib
New Contributor II

Installing oneAPI HPC Toolkit, at the point of Integrate IDE I am told that IVF 19.0 Integration is already installed in VS.  I am then told that if I continue the IVF 19.0 IDE integration will be uninstalled and the oneAPI Compiler 2021 Product IDE integration will be installed.  This is understandable, but the next sentence says "You will no longer be able to select 18.0 or older IVF Compilers from the VS IDE.  You will be able to select 19.0 or newer IVF Compilers."

Isn't this a contradiction??

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Devorah_H_Intel

It is recommended but not required if all you need is Intel Fortran Compiler. HPC Toolkit alone has everything you need to develop using Intel Fortran Compiler and tools. 

See what is included in HPC https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/hpc-toolkit.html

If you need MKL or other libraries, those can be downloaded and installed separately https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/oneapi-standalone-components.html#inpage-nav-11-5 

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Devorah_H_Intel

When you install a new version of Intel® Fortran Compiler, the previous versions are uninstalled into Microsoft Visual Studio. The new version of the Fortran integration supports the current compiler version and two or three previous versions. For example, if you currently have Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit 2021.1 installed and later install Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit 2021.2, the 2021.1 (or older) integration is removed and the 2021.2 integration is installed. Using the 2021.2 version, you can access the compiler versions 2021.2, 2021.1, and 19.1 only.

Refer to the following article for details. 

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

Thanks Devorah.  My point is that the installation instructions I quoted explicitly says "You will be able to select 19.0 or newer..."  I gather that this is an error.

I have Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows - Package ID: w-Comp_lib_2019.4.245.  Is this 19.0 or 19.1?  I do not want to uninstall it.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel
0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

OK, so my current Fortran compiler, for which an annual license fee is paid by my employer, will be usable only from the command line - not an option, for me.  I'm unwilling to abandon my 19.0 compiler to jump to the new version, which seems to be relatively untested.

As an alternative, I tried installing oneAPI Base on another computer I own.  All went well until I was asked to install the 10 DCH graphics drivers.  My old Core i5 machine has a Sandy Bridge m/b, not supported by the later graphics drivers.  So that door closed too.  Oh well ...

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

If you have support then you can upgrade to 19.1 or 20.0 and use these versions alongside with 20.2

Graphic drivers are only required if you are planning to do GPU offload. It is not required for regular CPU development. Also, compilers such as Fortran and C++ are part of oneAPI HPC Toolkit, not Base. 

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

Hi Devorah,

I assumed that I should install the Base toolkit first, then the HPC toolkit.  Was I wrong?

I was not able to install the Base - it insisted that I needed the graphics drivers, although I do not plan to use the GPU.  If I can install the HPC toolkit without needing the Base toolkit installed, and without needing the 10 DHC graphics drivers, I'll be happy.

Thanks,

Gib

<edit> I just tried to install the HPC toolkit.  It immediately told me that this is an add-on to the Base toolkit, which needs to be installed first.  So I was right

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

It is recommended but not required if all you need is Intel Fortran Compiler. HPC Toolkit alone has everything you need to develop using Intel Fortran Compiler and tools. 

See what is included in HPC https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/hpc-toolkit.html

If you need MKL or other libraries, those can be downloaded and installed separately https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/oneapi-standalone-components.html#inpage-nav-11-5 

I hope that helps.

0 Kudos