Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.
424 Discussions

Intel OneAPI python configuration in a linux box.

rudi-gaelzer
New Contributor I

I'm running a Fedora Linux 34 box with OneAPI v. 2021.2.0 installed.

I installed the suite (including intel python) using the Fedora dnf system in /opt/intel.

After the installation, I configured the system by creating the BASH script intel_apps.sh in /etc/profile.d

The script contains the line:

source /opt/intel/oneapi/setvars.sh

The problem is that this configuration method is conflicting with the other python installations.

Fedora 34 supports python 3 (3.9) (default) and python 2 (2.7).  In order to switch the default version, I employed the alternatives system.  As root:

alternatives --install /usr/bin/python python /usr/bin/python3 3
alternatives --install /usr/bin/python python /usr/bin/python2 1
alternatives --install /usr/bin/python python  /opt/intel/oneapi/intelpython/latest/bin/python 2

So, the system default should be the gnu python 3.9.  However, whenever I open a terminal, the default reverts to:

Python 3.7.9 :: Intel Corporation

Not only that, PYTHONPATH is also set to

/opt/intel/oneapi/advisor/2021.2.0/pythonapi

One  workaround would be to set the default locally, by inserting in .bashrc the alias 

alias python='/usr/bin/python3'

However, PYTHONPATH remains set to the intel installation.

This is not a problem if I run the code inside the interpreter, but it can be a problem if I run an executable script, since some libraries I need are not included in the intel distribution.

Could someone point out the alternatives I have here?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RahulU_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for sharing detailed information. As you are using HPC toolkit, there's no need to go for the separate conda installation of python which we suggested earlier. You can modify the "setvars.sh" script in your existing HPC tool kit installation to resolve your issue. To make the required changes follow the below steps 

1. In your linux system, go to the "/opt/intel/oneapi/" and do "vi setvars.sh" to edit the setvars.sh file..

2. After that move to line number "614" using the command ":614". Move to next line (after line 614) and enter the following lines of code:

elif [[ ${arg_path} = *"intelpython"* ]]; then

continue

3. After doing the desired changes, press "esc" and save your changes using command ":wq"

I have also attached a screenshot which shows the line where you need to add the code snippet.

Another workaround is that you can list and download (using dnf) only the necessary standalone packages which you need. You can follow these below links for doing the same:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/installation-guide-for-intel-oneapi-toolkits-linux/top/installation/install-using-package-managers/list-available-toolkits-components-and-runtime-library-packages.html#list-available-toolkits-components-and-runtime-library-packages_TOOLKIT

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/installation-guide-for-intel-oneapi-toolkits-linux/top/installation/install-using-package-managers/yum-dnf-zypper.html

Screenshot (194).png

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rahul

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RahulU_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for sharing detailed information. As you are using HPC toolkit, there's no need to go for the separate conda installation of python which we suggested earlier. You can modify the "setvars.sh" script in your existing HPC tool kit installation to resolve your issue. To make the required changes follow the below steps 

1. In your linux system, go to the "/opt/intel/oneapi/" and do "vi setvars.sh" to edit the setvars.sh file..

2. After that move to line number "614" using the command ":614". Move to next line (after line 614) and enter the following lines of code:

elif [[ ${arg_path} = *"intelpython"* ]]; then

continue

3. After doing the desired changes, press "esc" and save your changes using command ":wq"

I have also attached a screenshot which shows the line where you need to add the code snippet.

Another workaround is that you can list and download (using dnf) only the necessary standalone packages which you need. You can follow these below links for doing the same:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/installation-guide-for-intel-oneapi-toolkits-linux/top/installation/install-using-package-managers/list-available-toolkits-components-and-runtime-library-packages.html#list-available-toolkits-components-and-runtime-library-packages_TOOLKIT

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/installation-guide-for-intel-oneapi-toolkits-linux/top/installation/install-using-package-managers/yum-dnf-zypper.html

Screenshot (194).png

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rahul

0 Kudos
rudi-gaelzer
New Contributor I

The modification in the setvars.sh script you suggested seems to work, thank you.

Now, the python link points to the setting done by the alternatives system, which is the version 3.9.5 distributed by the Fedora repo.

The PYTHONPATH variable still contains the path

/opt/intel/oneapi/advisor/2021.3.0/pythonapi

but this does not seem to affect the default and can be useful if I revert to the distribution contained in the OneAPI pack.

0 Kudos
RahulU_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Rahul

0 Kudos