oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1281 Discussions

Q: Distribution of containers (and cloud images) w/ oneAPI?

bdobbins
Beginner

Hi all,

It's fantastic to see the release of these oneAPI tools, especially as a free download and in containerized forms.  This could be transformative for our climate model, as we currently distribute our containers with GCC since prior versions of the Intel compiler environment weren't free .. or distributable, except for the runtime. 

However, I'm still struggling to understand if the oneAPI versions are indeed distributable - eg, if I build a container on top of Intel's repo on Dockerhub (intel/oneapi-hpckit or intel/oneapi-basekit), can I distribute that?  The EULA mentions 'Redistributables' as things listed in 'redist.txt' or 'redist-rt.txt' files, or similar ones, and the only one I find in the container is in the Advisor subdirectory, but it does list four included files that 'may not be redistributed under an evaluation license'.  Which this isn't, I think, but I wanted clarification.  

In short, can I include oneAPI compilers/tools in a distributed open-source container, so long as all the original EULA / license files are included as well?  I'll note that no acceptance of any license is required to use the Intel-released Docker container.  I was able to launch it and compile a Fortran code just fine.

I'm really hoping these are distributable, of course without support, as that would lead to a lot better compatibility and performance on our distributed containers (and cloud platforms), but a clear answer would be fantastic.

Thanks very much,

- Brian

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi Brian,

We do not provide guidance on the End User License Agreement and how people use the product. You will have to consult with your own legal department regarding it.

Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Brian,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

As this is related to the licensing issue, we are escalating this thread to the concerned internal team who will guide you further.

Have a Good day!

Thanks & Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
JyotsnaK_Intel

Hi Brian,

Today the container portal does not support build/redistribute, but this is very much in our portal development plans for a future update.

-Best

0 Kudos
bdobbins
Beginner

Hi,

Sorry, just to clarify, I don't mean I'm looking for something on the technical side - this is just a license question.  It's pretty trivial for me to create a Docker file that uses the released Docker images as a base, adds my code, and -if licensing isn't an issue- allow people to download that, so they can use it on their computer.  Intel isn't involved in any support or extra work.  And it seems licensing isn't an issue, but I just wanted clarification on that part.

No portal development work is necessary here, I just want clarification on whether I can do this.  If not, then the end-user can still get things, but I distribute a Dockerfile they need to build themselves, vs. supplying a pre-built one.  Basically, since the compilers are not licensed, this would just make it a lot easier.

Does that help clarify?  If there's a different team I should ask about licensing issues, I'd love a contact.

Thanks,

- Brian

0 Kudos
JyotsnaK_Intel

Hi Brian,

Apologies for the late response. I am moving this thread to licensing team. They should be able to help you on this.

Best,

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi Brian,

We do not provide guidance on the End User License Agreement and how people use the product. You will have to consult with your own legal department regarding it.

Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,

0 Kudos