oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1285 Discussions

Uninstalling visual studio 2017 before "visual studio 2017 integration" blocks me from modify instal

MattHouston
New Contributor I

I had Visual Studio Professional 2017 last update installed on my computer as well as Intel Parallel Studio 2020 update 4 with its "visual studio 2017 integration".

I wanted to replace Visual Studio Professional 2017 with Visual Studio Enterprise 2019 and made the monumental error of uninstalling Visual Studio Professional 2017 before installing Intel Parallel Studio's "visual studio 2017 integration". I then installed Visual Studio Enterprise 2019 as when to modify my Intel Parallel Studio 2020 update 4 install.

At this point, whatever I do, at the "Customize" step, when I click on "Customize" and arrive at the "Choose Integration Target", I see :

• Microsoft Visual Studio* 2017 marked as "not installed" and greyed out so its not clickable
  • Microsoft Visual Studio* 2019 not greyed out, hence selectable

When I select "Microsoft Visual Studio* 2019" and click OK and then (after being brought back to the "IDE Integration" window) on Install, and see that the installer start with :

"Removing component 1 of 2: C++ Integration(s) in Microsoft Visual Studio* 2017"

and then aborts with the following message :

"Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2020 Update 4 for Windows* Intel® Software Setup Assistant ended prematurely due to error(s).
Installer logs location: C:\Users\MATTHOU~1\AppData\Local\Temp\pset_tmp_PSXE2020_MattHouston\2021.06.19_11.55.56_00001b58\log\
To install this program at a later time, run Intel® Software Setup Assistant again. Click the Finish button to exit the Intel® Software Setup Assistant."

I have no idea of how to proceed from here.

The logs are attached here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MattHouston
New Contributor I

All installs that I had were clean. I tried all repairs immaginable.

Finally, this worked for me : I reinstalled the visual studio 2017, which happened to turn the aforementioned "Microsoft Visual Studio* 2017" marked as "not installed" and greyed out into "not installed" and not greyed out. This allowed me to completely uninstall Intel Parallel Studio 2020 update 4 and Intel Parallel Studio 2020. Then I completely uninstalled Visual Studio 2017. Then I reinstalled Intel Parallel Studio 2020 update 4 with the Visual Studio 2019 integration and eveything worked perfectly.

One remark : I found this totally stupid, unproductive, least to say. Ok, I made a mistake and uninstalled Visual Studio 2017 before installing visual studio 2017 intel integration. But installing visual studio 2017 for sure also install its intel integration. Why block people and force them to do what I had to do for such a stupid reason ? Anyway, what's important is that I have a working install.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi MattHouston,

Thanks for posting your concern in our forum. We have just reached out to you requesting certain details via email. Please get back to us with the information by replying to the email. The details would allow us to assist your better.

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos
MattHouston
New Contributor I

All installs that I had were clean. I tried all repairs immaginable.

Finally, this worked for me : I reinstalled the visual studio 2017, which happened to turn the aforementioned "Microsoft Visual Studio* 2017" marked as "not installed" and greyed out into "not installed" and not greyed out. This allowed me to completely uninstall Intel Parallel Studio 2020 update 4 and Intel Parallel Studio 2020. Then I completely uninstalled Visual Studio 2017. Then I reinstalled Intel Parallel Studio 2020 update 4 with the Visual Studio 2019 integration and eveything worked perfectly.

One remark : I found this totally stupid, unproductive, least to say. Ok, I made a mistake and uninstalled Visual Studio 2017 before installing visual studio 2017 intel integration. But installing visual studio 2017 for sure also install its intel integration. Why block people and force them to do what I had to do for such a stupid reason ? Anyway, what's important is that I have a working install.

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi MattHouston,

We are glad that the issue got resolved. However, we understand the situation. We are taking the remark as an input to share with our internal team. Proceeding further, we are closing the thread. Feel free to create a new thread if there are any other queries or concerns. Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos