Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

2 extra NICS showing S2600STB

idata
Employee

We have a server used the 2600STB. When installing 2016 Server there are a total of 4 NICS showing in the Device Manager.

2 of the NICs install fine. 2 are showing as code 10 in the Device Manager

There are only 2 NICs on the machine. There is no expansion (or any cards in slot 5) card to enable the other 2 NICs. They are flagged in the Device Manager and I can not figure out how to make them go away.

The BIOS/ BMC/ FDRFSU was update to the latest on the Intel site as of 1.22. The last drivers are installed. But the code 10 is telling me the hardware can't be found. Which is correct because it's not there

I've read you can disable the NICs if the machine is installed it UEFI (Which it is) but this disabled all 4 NICs.

There is only one reference to 'NICs' in the BIOS..which also disables all of them

Any help on this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Jamie,

The Intel® Server Board S2600ST Product Family offers SFP+ 10Gbps connectivity, through and optional LAN riser accesory card. The network controller is integrated into the Platform Controller Hub (PCH) and the riser accessory provided the physical interface. The two "additional" NICs listed in device manager are the ones integrated in the PCH.

The SFP+ LAN Riser option is only supported when installed into PCIe add-in slot # 5 on the server board which includes an expansion connector allowing for communication to the onboard PCH and BMC. The SFP+ LAN Riser option can be used in single or dual processor configurations.

For further references please check the Technical Product Specification from the link below:

http:// https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/Intel_Server_Board_S2600ST_TPS_1_0.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/Intel_Server_Board_S2600ST_TPS_1_0.pdf
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The problem is...

There is NO riser card in the machine...in fact there aren't any cards at all. But 4 NICs still show up in the device manager. The 2 onboard NIC..and the 2 SFP+ NICs

Reading the FRUSDR notes...The FRUSDR should disable the 2 SFP NICs if the module is not present. That is not happening

We replaced the main board and the second board had the same problem

There is definitely an issue with this board

0 Kudos
Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

Jamie,

As stated in the prior message, the 2 SFP NICs are going to be detected by the Operating System, even with no riser card installed. The network controller is integrated into the Platform Controller Hub (PCH), that is the reason why they are still listed in device manager. If the FRU/SDR update is not disabling them, we can suggest you wait for an update to the firmware package.

Since this is an embedded feature from this server board family, a replacement is not going to get rid of the two additional NICs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Do you have any idea when the update will be released? We have a couple of customers that are requesting RMAs on very expensive servers because the the 'flagged' NICs

0 Kudos
Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

I regret to inform you that we do not have an ETA for a future firmware update. Engineering is aware of the situation and will address it as soon as possible. Unfortunately, it is something completely out of my hands.

0 Kudos