Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

2600CP motherboard issues

JLovi
Beginner

Hey i just got a used server and seem to be running into a fair bit of issues.

I updated all the firmware (BIOS, BMC, ME, etc) to the latest available versions. This had temporarily fixed my issues but they seem to have returned.

BMC FW HealthManagement Subsystem Health'' sensor has failed and may not be providing a valid reading - Asserted

Seems to be the bane of my existence here. Any ideas on what causes this and how to fix it?

Is there any other information i should include to be of more help?

Thanks,

Josh
0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Josh,

Regarding your question, "2600CP motherboard issues with errors '' BMC FW Health Management Subsystem Health '' sensor has failed and may not be providing a valid reading - Asserted ".

This is very weired and it requires a more deep diagnostic. I will recommend you to contact tech support at 916-377-7000 and select server support.

First try to reflash the BIOS from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26296/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=61088 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26296/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=61088

To gather the log files Please, follow the steps below to extract the system logs of the motherboard:
  1. Download the zip file named Sysinfo_V14_0_Build12_AllOS.zip available at the following web site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25563/S1200SP-System-Information-Retrieval-Utility?product=88263 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25563/S1200SP-System-Information-Retrieval-Utility?product=88263.
  2. Open the download destination folder for the Sysinfo_V14_0_Build12_AllOS.zip file and extract its contents. This operation will create a new folder named Sysinfo_V14_0_Build12_AllOS.
  3. Format a flash drive as FAT 32 (or any other Extended-firmware compatible file system).
  4. Copy the UEFI folder from the Sysinfo_V14_0_Build12_AllOS folder into the USB Flash drive.
  5. Turn off the server. Plug in the USB Flash drive in any of the server's USB ports. Turn on the system and as soon as you get video signal hit F6 key several times. A window should come up and then select Launch EFI Shell and hit Enter.
  6. At the Internal EFI Shell command line type map –r and hit Enter.

The Device Mapping Table should show up a device named FS0; most likely it is your USB flash drive. At this point type FS0: and hit Enter. On the left side should see FS0> (a virtual unit has been created by the Internal EFI Shell).
  7. At command prompt FS0> type ls and hit Enter. This will show the contents of the USB Flash Drive. You should see the folder named UEFI.
  8. Type cd UEFI and hit Enter.
  9. At the command prompt type sysinfo.efi and hit Enter.

At this point you should hit Y and Enter to continue. This process might take up to 10 minutes.
  10. After running SysInfo you should see the command prompt back again.
  11. Type exit to reset the system. Unplug your USB Flash drive. Plug into another computer with an installed operating system (Windows*, Linux*, etc.) and Internet access.
  12. Browse your USB Flash drive. Go to UEFI folder. You should see three (3) .txt files ("sysinfo_log.txt", "PCI_log.txt", and "RAID_NVRAMlog.txt").

After you have contact the server support team, they will create a case number for you and send you and email, and then you will be able to reply to the email with the logs and they will be able to check them for you and provide you with a more deep detail on the problem and solution.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
JLovi
Beginner

Thanks for the reply! As it turns out I was able to fix the issue. I guess the old sdr config had an extra fan active and when I bought it the guy took it out causing the motherboard to be unhappy it was missing a fan. I updated the bios, bmc, em to the latest versions.

However another issue popped up. there is 2 x 120mm fans. One blowing on the 2 heatsinks and the other blowing over the pcie lanes. After fixing the problem the above problem the fans are acting sort of weird. The fan blowing over the heatsinks sits at 1000 RPM and the other one at 3500. If i run a synthetic test to push all 32 threads to 100% and raise the temps up to about 80-90c the fans do not increase their speed. I also cant seem to slow down the one spinning at 3k to make it a quiet 1500 ish.

Would you happen to have any ideas on how to fix this or should I call the support number after getting the logs.

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Josh,

Regarding your question, "with fan speed running high and not changing speed when running synthetic tes but also unable to speed down the fan running at 3k ".

First let me ask that I forgot to ask before, are you using an Intel chasis or a none Intel chasis.

Also, you can see on Technical Product Specification manual information on the FAN configuration, http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s2600cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev19.pdf http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s2600cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev19.pdf. You see this on page 124.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
JLovi
Beginner

Henry,

The entire server is intel as far as I can tell. Its using a p4000 series case. Though I noticed when updating the SDR files sometimes it would recognize the chasis and other times it would not.

As for the fan settings i tried setting all those to make it as quiet as i can but none seemed to help. I even went as far as to looking into modifying the sdr file but that... is a whole other huge project since those files are quite confusing and unforgiving with documentation.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Josh,

Then the best option will be extract the logs as it was recommended on the first interaction and to call on Monday server support to get a case number to be able to upload the log files and to get a more diagnostic on the possible problem.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Josh,

I just wanted to double check and see if had the chance to contact support and send the logs for diagnostic.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos