Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MBoul2
Beginner

4U or greater chassis for Xeon E3 series of processors?

I've specced out a rackmount server using a P4304x chassis and Xeon E3 processor with S1200BTL motherboard. Unfortunately it seems as though the P4303x chassis are pedestal only with no rackmount option - is this correct?? The specs I saw listed it as rackmount, but upon further investigation it seems as though the specs are incorrect.

Now I'm in a situation where I need to substitute the chassis with something that is rackmountable. The R1304BTLSHBNR almost does the trick for us, but we need to mount 5 hard drives internally (4 hot swap and one fixed) + optical drive and I believe that chassis only supports 4 hard drives.

- Am I correct that no P4304x chassis are rackmountable?

- Am I correct that Intel does not seem to make anything rackmountable greater than 1U to support the Xeon E3?

- Can anyone recommend a good 3rd party chassis, something with at least 4 drive hot-swap capabilities that will integrated well with the S1200BTL board and RS2BL040 RAID controller?

Bottom line is I need a Xeon E3 rackmount server that will support a RS2BL040 RAID controller, 4 hot-swap drives + 1 fixed + optical. What are my options??

Thanks in advance!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Unfortunately the P4000S chassis family for S1200BT is not rackmountable... However, you may check the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s1200bt/sb/CS-032457.htm Intel� Server Board S1200BT — Tested chassis list for 3rd party chassis that is rackmountable.

MBoul2
Beginner

Thanks. I've looked at that page, but unless I'm missing something all listed chassis are either pedestal or 1U.

I'm shocked by this - surely many people must want to use rackmounted E3s with more than 4 drive bays, or even a single 5.25" bay??

I'm surprised Intel does not offer a compatible chassis, similar to the SC5650UP we used with the S3420GPLC for so long. Or perhaps smaller since 6U was a bit overkill.

Does anyone have experience with a compatible 3rd party chassis that integrates with the motherboard and RAID controller as well as (or close to as well as) the Intel chassis would?

Thanks

Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

If I'm not wrong the Chenbro pedestal chassis can be converted to rackmount.