Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Adding additional NIC to Intel Modular Server

idata
Employee

We have an IMS and wanted to add a dual NIC to one of the compute modules. We have the standard single switch module, but needed a few extra ports on one of the compute modules. The specific part we are adding is AXXGBIOMEZ. Our hardware vender stated we needed to purchase the secondary switch module. This didnt make sense and need to verify as this is welll over $1K + the card and tax is almost $1500.

We have 4 compute modules and like I said 1 switch.

TIA,

Steve

4 Replies
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Aryan,

Thank you for your reply.

I have reviewed all documentation and cannot find any reference material. I found the following:

Do I have to add a mezzanine card to each compute module? 

One Dual Gigabit Ethernet I/O Expansion Mezzanine Card AXXGBIOMEZ is required for each compute module that needs to access the second switch. Note that in some circumstances, the mezzanine NIC ports are accessible via the first switch.

I assume the circumstances in which the mezzanine NIC are available to the first switch is if there are open compute module ports? Otherwise, if you have all compute modules they would take up all ports on the switch? This makes sense, but cannot verify this anywhere.

PS, how do I ask OJ or Javed

TIA,

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there,

May be you can send them a message:

OJCONCENTRATE

JAVED LODHI

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Hi Steve,

Sorry for a delayed response since I had been away due to work.

Okay so from what I get is that since you get 2 NICs by default on a modular server which is not fulfilling your requirements, you want additional NICs on your modular server. And after consultation, you have come to know that you can do that however you need to plug in an additional switch into the chassis?

YES!

A modular server comes with 2 on-board NICs however you can add 2 additional NICs by simply plugging in the "Mezzanine Card" that you have to order as an optional component. But adding the Mezzanine card would not enable 4 NICs for you with only 1 switching module installed in the chassis and for that purpose, you will have to order an additional switching module that would be plugged into the CSM2 slot (Chassis Switch Module). Once you plug in the second switching module, you will be able to see all the 4 NICs in your server enabled and working.

And in case you are thinking, why is it the case? Well it is because of the chassis design and server internals, design of which I am not sure if I can share with you but I will see if I am able, I will be glad to.

Hope this helps, for any further questions, feel free to write to us.

Rajiv - Thanks for the forward, much appreciated!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos