Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Administrator profile did not receive an IP address

idata
Employee

Computer is a ThinkPad T520 Win7 64 Pro. Intel N6300 Ultimate Wireless adapter. The Intel ProSet WiFi Connection Utility kepes throwing a "connection problem" warning with the following message: "Administrator profile did not receive an IP address".

The machine is connected, there is no break in connectivity BUT I'm using a fixed IP address, which seems to be causing the problem. Even if I disable notifications in the Utility a yellow warning triangle overlays the ProSet icon in the System Tray. I cannot switch to DHCP. Is there another way to solve this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you for your post.

This issue can be related to corruption or too many profiles.

If you have many unused profiles set up then it might me a good idea to delete them, to make sure any possible corruption is taken care of you may want to uninstall the current drivers and software for the wireless and reinstall the latest ones.

Corruption may occur if the drivers have been updated a couple of times while the profiles have been already available and can happen even if it is just one profile. Corruption may occur also if the profile was created on a system with different drivers than the target system. So you may want to clean install the drivers then set up the profile from this computer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you. I'll mark this answered and correct. Here's how I used your information to fix the issue:

1. Only 2 profile, 1 user
  2. Used "Manage Wireless Networks" to delete both network profiles.
  3. Uninstalled wireless and wired Intel drivers
  4. Used Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall all Intel components and drivers and remove all registry items.
  5. Shutdown and Restart.
  6. Installed ProSet and wireless drivers.
  7. Installed wired gigabit drivers.
  8. Used ProSet to create the 2 profiles I need.
  9. Done!

Again, thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was too eager to mark this closed. The problem immediately re-appeared as soon as I modified the connection properties to a fixed IP address. As I said in my original post, I use fixed IP addressing. It seems as though this is a problem for ProSet, although I'm more than willing to learn.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Next step was to open the Windows Network and Sharing Center and click on the network name select Wireless Properties and select Enable Intel Connection Settings. This allowed the use of a fixed IP address with no profile errors. Why does that not happen automatically when ProSet is installed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am on the verge of giving up. All methods tried so far do not survive a reboot. I worked for 6 hours yesterday with no error message. Shutdown last night, re-started this morning and got the error message after about 2 minutes. If I alter the adapter's properties to a DHCP delivered address the error goes away. But I really need to work with a fixed IP.

0 Kudos
IPetr5
Beginner

My have same problem too and I really need to work with a fixed IP too. Please fix this issue

0 Kudos