Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Ask An Expert - The Server Room

idata
Employee

<![CDATA[<font size="3">Welcome to intel.com/ITopia. Join the discussion, debate and collaborate. This is your opportunity to *ask our experts* what you want to know about Intel's latest technologies. The floor is yours.]]><![CDATA[<hr>]]><![CDATA[<font size="2">+This discussion is not intended to answer PC support question. If you have a support question go to {document:id=1086}.+]]>

0 Kudos
280 Replies
William_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello, sorry for the wait. Here is an Intel Contact that may be able to better answer your questions:

Praveen Srivastava

Email ID: praveen.srivastava@intel.com

Telphone: +91 9840984474

Hope we can help to answer your questions.

idata
Employee

Hi, I am just started evaluating the vPro and had a detailed readings from intel site. Wanted to know whether vpro hardware and software is as part of the PC / Laptop what we buy (eq : - dc 7800 CMT). Do I need to buy any other software to manage centrally ? Further, our application is xp compatible, hence we had to degrade from Vista Business to XP Professional.

0 Kudos
JoshHilliker
Employee

Hello. if you are utilizing the HP dc7800 platform that has the vPro logo on it you should be set for vPro Management. check out the vPro Expert center @ http://communities.intel.com/community/vproexpert for more information on tools that you can use to manage them. vPro is OS agnostic, therefore you can utilize both operating systems you mention.

please let us know if you have any questions or open a discussion on the vPro expert center and we can assist from there.

Josh H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hello...i just want to ask if i can change my intel processor of my notebook can be change? the processor of my notebook is "intel celeron - inside", can i change it to "intel centrino duo" which user type is "digital leader"? can i change it or not? thank you...God bless

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, what your want to do is really more than a processor change. Whenever you see a Centrino logo, means that there are at least 3 Intel products in your notebook that are validated to work together. These are, the processor, the mini-pcia wireless card, and the chipset. So the answer is no, you cannot update, since the benefits with Centrino go beyond processor speed (connectivity, longer battery life, performance etc)

Take care.

Fernando

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hello...can i change my notebook processor to a nice one? from intel celeron to intel centrino duo? can i?

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

Hi chaditz,

Could you tell us more about your system, manufacturer, model, etc? Typically you would need a compatible chipset for the Centrino Duo and most likely your motherboard doesn't support. Please let us know system details and we can confirm your options then. Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was just wondering when the Intel Centrino 2 with vPro technology will be in new laptops coming out, and if they will be in all brands, or just a select few. I've been researching computers, but I haven't seen any so far that are labeled as having an Intel Centrino 2 processor. Thank you.

-Dan

0 Kudos
JoshHilliker
Employee

good morning. .The best way to find out is to go to the OEM's web site. You can also check out http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/centrino2/photos.htm for pictures of the latest platforms that will be coming. If there is a specific OEM you are interested in or form factor please let me know and I will get that specific information for you. Josh H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

what is the purpose of the J9J1 auxillary power line?

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

J9J1 connector provides the pinout listing for the external 3.3 volt power supply connector of the Advanced/RH motherboard. This connector is normally not installed, because 3.3 volt power issupplied by the motherboard. Hope this helps, however if still you feel something missing and you want info about that, let us know.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a ASUS computer with Core 2 Duo can it be replace it with Vpro chip.

0 Kudos
Brian_Cockrell
Employee

Intel vPro technology is more than just the CPU. Intel vPro technology includes an Intel vPro capable CPU, vPro capable chipset, vPro enabled LAN, and the embedded AMT firmware. Use this tool to determine which components you have that meet the vPro requirements:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/vptu/

If you meet all requirements except for CPU, then yes, you can replace your CPU with a vPro enabled CPU and reap the benefits of Intel vPro technology.

0 Kudos
FBard
Beginner

I have a client's S5000VSA Server with a RAID 1 VIrtual Set creted via the BIOS, and SBS2003 Installed. Just installed RAID Web Console 2. The Set shows Health Optimal. I would like to run a consistency check on the Virtual Set but it says that the Drives have not been initialized. I was under the impression that the BIOS utility would have initialized the drives when the RAID 1 set was built, and the SBS2003 was installed.

Is the initialization DESTRUCTIVE?? If so what can be done to allow a consistancy check??

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your question. I've spoken with the storage experts and here's your reply:

Yes, the initialization is destructive (if chosen from the menu options). However, the array should initialize in the background after the OS is installed as a low priority job – which means it takes time, especially on large arrays. A consistency check is expected to work on the ESRT2 RAID 1 mirror array without forcing an Initialization at creation.

To clarify, I'm guessing the described installation of RWC2 and subsequent question happened relatively soon after initial creation and OS installation, is that correct? If so, then I believe the answer is to wait a couple of days (yes, days~), depending on the size of the array this can take anywhere from 8-72 hours in my experience. If this is not the case, or the consistency check still can't be completed after a couple of days, then you should let us know and we'll investigate this further.

We also did have a bug with running consistency check from RWC2 that has been resolved in newer versions – please let us know the RWC2 version (and driver version) being used and ensure they are the latest posted to the http://www3.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/emea/eng/products/server/boards/dp/s5000vsa/support/index.htm S5000VSA Support Website

In reality, what is on the disk in areas that are NOT written too after initialization are unimportant, but they surely can't be guaranteed to be 'consistent' until they are set that way. Initialization at creation is an option in the OpROM User Config Utility (), but it is both not required and not recommended as it takes many hours to complete and the OS installation/use can't occur until complete. It is worth noting that the reason it takes so long in the OpROM utility is different than in the OS – in the OpROM it can only use the chips local memory for swap space and the FW also resides in this same area, whereas in the OS it is because it is a low priority task. Since the background Init will complete more quickly in the OS, our recommended procedure is:

-Create the array in the oprom utility and reboot.

-Install the OS and utilities.

-Allow the background Init to finish (should be able to monitor this init in RWC2).

-Once the background Init completes, you should be able to run a consistency check.

Please let us know if this has been helpful.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, we've to replace a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with 2x Quad Intel Xeon E5310 1.60GHz with another at least 50% faster. Would 2x Intel X5460 3.16Ghz do that? Thanks

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your question. In this situation the question is better suited for Dell than for Intel, since they are the experts on their systems. That said, we are here to help and would recommend using the published spec_int_rate_2006 benchmarks that you can find by visiting the http://www.spec.org/ SPEC Website. We believe this will show that going from a 5310 to a 5460 yields up to an 80% performance gain. This result should be helpful in your decision assuming spec_int_rate is a good proxy for your application. Please let us know if this has helped in making your decision.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Where do I download or who do I need to talk to about getting the software used in the demo?

http://www.intel.com/business/business-pc/demo/demo.htm?iid=prod_vpro+rhc_pcdemo

Is it Intel AMT or what?

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

Please try posting your question to the vPro Expert Center http://communities.intel.com/community/vproexpert/ask Here

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have 2 questions:

1. How do I turn off the beep sound on my PROSet/Wireless adapter when I get connected to the internet so that I only get a visual alerts?

2. Is there a wireless adapter or bluetooth type replacement for the s-video slot on HDTV so you can connect to the TV & play audio, video, slideshows, etc. without having cables going to & from the TV & computer?

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

Is this still an issue for you? I'm afraid this question has gone unanswered, our apologies.

0 Kudos