Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Ask An Expert - The Server Room

<![CDATA[<font size="3">Welcome to intel.com/ITopia. Join the discussion, debate and collaborate. This is your opportunity to *ask our experts* what you want to know about Intel's latest technologies. The floor is yours.]]><![CDATA[<hr>]]><![CDATA[<font size="2">+This discussion is not intended to answer PC support question. If you have a support question go to {document:id=1086}.+]]>

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
280 Replies
Highlighted

If you are still looking for comments & suggestions on your questions, please start a new thread http://communities.intel.com/post!input.jspa?communityID=2026 HERE . Thanks for your participation in our forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If you are still looking for comments & suggestions on your questions, please start a new thread http://communities.intel.com/post!input.jspa?communityID=2026 HERE . Thanks for your participation in our forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

You sent me a laptop with Vista installed, but included with the laptop were recovery disks that have XP installed. If I use the recovery disks to "upgrade" my laptop to XP, will there be a driver included for the WiMax?

Also, there seems to be a bit of flakiness when downloading a page. It looks like the page is completely downloaded, but the form is missing. A couple minutes later the full page is downloaded and useable, but the webpage itself has had no other indications that it's done. The "done" in the bottom left hand corner has been up long before it was actually completed downloading. I would put a better indicator of downloading (page updating) status in the browsers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for your question. Can you provide a few more details & we will try to sort out what's happening. Please include the laptop model # , cpu type, memory, etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I HAVE A DESKTOP LAPTOP AND WOULD JUST LIKE TO BUY A BETTER PROCESSOR TO PUT IN IT AND A V PRO SOUNDS LIKE THE ONE FOR ME.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

hello sir,

i have P4V24155 Mercury Processor nd after formatting my System i dont have any source to install all the drivers so kindly send me some link to install all these drivers.

yours sincerely

Devang Mehta

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Jared,

There is no tutorial (published by Intel) available publicly for building an Itanium server since Itanium is designed to be supported by an OEM, rather than being a "build-your-own" white box server platform. The scalability (for SMP systems) is accomplished with various chipset components. Chipsets and Itanium processors, including the Series 9150M are available from our OEMs and are configured and available normally as part of an integrated system platform. You would need to purchase Itanium systems or parts directly from one of the Itanium OEMs (Bull, Fujitsu, Fujitsu-Siemens, Hitachi, HP, NEC, SGI, Supermicro or Unisys) or one of their authorized distributors.

Rob
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

i'm looking at a laptop for college and i came accross the T5800 and now i need to know if it is Centrino 2 or just Centrino

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

is the T5800 a Centrino or Centrino 2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi

I am having two Intel Xeon Quad Core 1066Mhz (E5320) processors that came originally with Active heatsinks. I would like to know the part no. of the 2U+ passive heatsinks for these CPU's.

-Mustafa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Dear Guest,

First please make it clear that either you have a desktop PC or a laptop?

Now, as for the processor that you want for it and you thinking that vPro sounds like the one for you, I hope you do realize that vPro is not one of our processors, rather it is our technological platform, combination of processor technologies, hardware enhancements, management features, and security technologies that allow remote access to the PC including monitoring, maintenance, and management independently of the state of the operating system (OS) or power state of the PC.

Now taking this into consideration, tell us as to why you feel you want a vPro and we will be glad to help. Moreover, in order to replace your current processor with a newer one, you will have to provide us information about your current motherboard model so that we can help you get a compatible processor with better performance.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Dear Guest,

Centrino does not refer to the processor, rather it is a platform. When it says Centrino, it means that the system has an Intel mobile processor, an Intel mainboard chip (northbridge and southbridge), and an integrated Intel wireless networking chip.

Meanwhile T5800 processor itself is a Core2Duo processor however further clarification you will get when you go to buy the laptop in the market. The sticker on it's chassis will tell you exactly if the processor in it is CoreDuo or Core2Duo.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

This is the Server Room correct ???

I am in the market to replace all of my current servers, we are looking at dual 5450's, however I am a little hesitant as the new i7 processors have just recently come out, and I feel that we are at the end of the Core 2 era and are moving into a new era with the i7s. It would be a shame to purchase new servers at the end of their life cycle, will they be coming out with a xeon i7 processor soon ???

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Welcome to the Server Room.

Great question as I suspect many IT professionals are wrestling with similar decisions.

Honestly, I'm not sure there is a reason to wait. Server refresh happens constantly and there is a tremendous advantage today using existing Xeon (5450s) for your business environment. In fact, comparing the Xeon 5400 series processors to single core Xeons purchased in 2004, IT power/cooling and space requirements can be cut by up to 80% while maintaining constant performance. You can calculate your potential IT savings of server refresh today with this http://www.intel.com/go/xeonestimator calculator

Yes, We will be coming out with new Xeon processors next year on the next generation intel micro-architecture under the codename of 'Nehalem-EP'. (see more here: /community/openportit/server/blog/2008/06/11/why-45nm-whats-next-part-2 http://communities.intel.com/openport/community/openportit/server/blog/2008/06/11/why-45nm-whats-nex... ) We are very excited about the new architecture and the opportunities it will provide to business and IT (enhancing server performance and capability compared to previous generations)

At Intel, innovation is a constant. Intel's architectural innovation model calls for a new architecture about every 2 years and the reality is that those two architectures will overlap for a significant time period in transition. Our enabling work with software vendors strives to achieve backward compatibility with existing servers so there is not a disadvantage to deploying existing architectures while you test and deploy new.

In my opinion, the cost, performance and capability advantages of server refresh today are too large to pass up … and given that there is always more innovation around the corner, I'm not sure there is ever a reason to wait.

Thanks, Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Check out "Choosing the Correct Boxed Processor Thermal Solution here: http://support.intel.com/support/processors/xeon5k/sb/CS-022301.htm http://support.intel.com/support/processors/xeon5k/sb/CS-022301.htm

Let us know if this answers your question.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi

Thinking about building a Modular server, probably with 3-4 compute modules, to provide terminal Services for 250-350 light users of ONLY MS word, Excel, IE and even more limited use of Publisher.

Also want to include active directory, file server and internet gateway/ISA server. Only 50-100 internet sites will be allowed. This is for school use.

Am I on a right track? Any config suggestions also welcome

Thanks

Gabriel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi Gabriel,

Intel Modular Server is a solution in a box as I put it. Intended for SMEs, Modular server addresses the need for a powerful, yet easy to manage server which can be used in different verticals of the industry. I have deployed numerous Modular servers in education sector myself and the feedback has been excellent. Now before you proceed with server configurations, calculate your hardware load according to your needs which is in accordance to your budget but before that, you need to identify individual services and servers you are going to be hosting on these servers and you also need to realize if you are looking forward to virtualization. My personal recommendation to you would be to go for Modular servers in case you guys can afford to do that (realizing your cost will greatly cut-down with introduction of Modular servers) and excellent choice for future expansion as they come with support for MP Xeon processors, SAS 2.5" and soon SATA support is also going to be announced.

For any further information about Intel modular servers, ordering, product details and troubleshooting; feel free to contact us at any time.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

That is not an answer. I just ordered a new Toshiba Satellite A355-S6789 with the Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 processor. You do not even have that model processor listed anywhere in Intel. I feel I am being mislead and am considering cancelling my order for this seeming dishonesty. Is that why I got such a good deal? Is it a chip you produced and then discontinued because it is subpar? I have exclusively purchased Toshiba Notebooks since the early 90s every year. The computer has all these amazing features for the price except i noticed after buying that is doesnt have a WLAN switch so I will have to go through all the trouble of configuring my wireless connection manually, and now I find i have a processor that does'nt exist according to Intel product specs. Please do not mislead a loyal customer. If this computer is no good please email me so i can refund it an buy a Toshiba that will perform as i need it to.

Sincerely,

Justin D

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Justin,

You can find the Core2Duo T5800 listed on this product page http://www.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/core2duo/sb/CS-023116.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/core2duo/sb/CS-023116.htm.

If you scroll down about half-way you find a table applies to systems using the Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor built on 65-nanometer process technology for platforms based on the Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family. The T5800 is listed here.

Hope this helps answer your question.

0 Kudos