Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

BIOS is DEAD Intel S5520HC , no way to recover it

idata
Employee

Hey friends

i tried to recover the bios of my Intel S5520HCR system cuz the APTIO Flash tool has destroyed the boot block NBC flash ... and more by using the /gan command

I am able to boot into the EFI Shell by creating an usb device according to this BIOS recovery guide but it doesnt really work

My system stuck at this screen and nothing will happen

The system will power off after a few minutes but there is nothing on the screen during this time

And the LEDs

Need help cuz i dont want to buy a new motherboard

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

USB stick has to be fat32 formated. Smaller sticks work better.

Make sure the recovery files are in the root directory,

edit the startup.nsh so that the runs the XXXRec.cap

and last, use the same rec.cap as the BIOS you wiped out.

Unplug any other HDDs or fob drives (the recovery needs to be FS0: to FS3: as i recall.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have removed all the other devices except the ram , cpus and graphics but i still got this problem at the EFI Shell screen

my system is stuck like here

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i tried to use 3 differend usb devices but it doesnt work

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i see.. there should be a device mapping table but there is none

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/BIOS_Recovery_demo.htm BIOS_Recovery_demo

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Go into the BIOS and choose Exit > Load Default Values (or press F9). Power off, pull the plug from the wall for 20 seconds, then boot up and see if the EFI map shows the correct mapping now.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Try a remap from the shell to see if your USB stick shows up.

shell> map -r

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

it doesnt work

im not able to use any kind of usb devices during this EFI screen

i can reboot my system at the POST screen but not at the EFI Shell screen --> EFI Shell gets stuck again

There are 15 Intel S5520HC Systems with a dead BIOS at the moment and i got the same problem on all of them but the USB devices work on other computers

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Did you try clearing the CMOS / loading factory defaults?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

factory defaults?

i tried to reset the cmos already

i have ordered 15 supermicro boards now cuz i wasnt able to recover the bios of my intel s5520hc systems but i will try to

maybe you can help

take a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAxvxLAYdqI&index=2&list=UUugqy5JphOQlT5uimHbDrYw YouTube

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

It says "

This video is private.

" and won't let me watch

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos