Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

BMC is in FW Transfer Mode

idata
Employee

I was trying to update the BIOS on my S3210SH. I was using the latest build of flashupdt for Windows and I downloaded the latest firmware from the website. The release info is:

BIOS : S3200X38.86B.00.00.0049 Build Date : Jun 16, 2009

BMC : 35

FRUSDR : 14

After doing flashupdt -u flashupdt.cfg I was prompted to select my chassis type and a few options about the fans. After this the program exited with no error code. I tried doing flashupdt -i to see if the update was applied but I get an error "BMC is in FW Transfer Mode". The system boots fine, but even after a cold boot I get the same error. I have jumper J1B1 (BMC FRC) on pins 2&3 and it still won't update.

How do I get this error to go away and then get the BIOS updated?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

I've seen that happen with certain backplanes or add-in cards. Try disconnecting all peripherals, then the BMC should be able to complete fine

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't have any drive backplanes, and I pulled all of the cards from the slots, but that didn't help. Thank you for your suggestion though. I appreciate the help.

I actually posted my problem twice by mistake and I have another question open for the same problem. I didn't realize the moderators might take so long to approve the post and I thought something went wrong, so I submitted it again. The other question is "S3210SHLC BIOS Update Problem".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

unfortunately I have got the same error message with an S5000XVN-board.

I previously was trying to do the update via a dos boot stick, getting "error 005".

http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=Ci4HO3kMAA&search=funnily&trestr=0x8004 Funnily enough this 005-error also pointed to some additional management interfaces - that I do not have.

Also no other add-in-cards - not even video (connected remotely to the system).

Any help would be very very appreciated...

tia

So long,

Marco

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ciao, ho il tuo stesso problema, hai poi risolto?

Hello, I have the same problem, have You solved?

GG

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello giginhq,

the board was exchanged with a brandnew one meanwhile by my seller.

There was no way to fix the issue with the previous board.

Good luck

goldrush

0 Kudos