Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Best practice for configuring out of band management, BMC vs Dedicated LAN management

JThom28
Beginner

Hello

I'm looking for some guidance for the best-practice on configuring the networking for out of band management on an Intel server with an RMM4. I apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere but I've spent a good deal of time searching and have not found much. In the BIOS, under the Server Management section, there are two sections that contain networking configuration fields, one for the BMC and one for the dedicated LAN. For a server with an RMM4 module installed, should I just configure the dedicated LAN with an IP address and leave the BMC networking section blank? Or should both the BMC and the dedicated LAN controller have the same IP address, Or different IP addresses? My goal is to enable network-based out of band management for servers, only on the dedicated networking port and not on the network cards that the operating system uses.

Thanks,

Jared

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Jared,

If you have the RMM4 module with the dedicated management port, it is recommended that you configure the Intel (R) RMM4 LAN Configuration settings only, and leave the BMC LAN Settings blank.

In order to configure the BMC, please check page 20 of this http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/Purley_RMM4_BMC_User_Guide.pdf user guide.

Finally, can you please also provide us with the model of your Intel(R) server board?

Best regards,

Sergio S.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Jared,

If you have the RMM4 module with the dedicated management port, it is recommended that you configure the Intel (R) RMM4 LAN Configuration settings only, and leave the BMC LAN Settings blank.

In order to configure the BMC, please check page 20 of this http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/Purley_RMM4_BMC_User_Guide.pdf user guide.

Finally, can you please also provide us with the model of your Intel(R) server board?

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
JThom28
Beginner

Hi Sergio

The system that I am working on now is an S2600CW, I've seen these options on most Intel server boards though. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

-Jared

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are welcome, please let us know if there is anything else we can help you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jared,

We are following up your question and we would like to know if you need more assistance

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
JThom28
Beginner

Hi Sergio

No, we are good to go. Thank you very much for your help!

-Jared

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome. Feel free to contact us back if you need more assistance.

0 Kudos