Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

Boot Order MBR Signature - Intel® Server Board S5520UR

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I have been writing some software for initializing/formating new drives, under Windows XP.

I have the code working, but I am finding that any drives that I have Initialized with my software, when they are installed in one of my servers, get a boot priority assigned to them higher than the current OS boot drive.

When I initialize the drives with Windows Disk Management I do not get this issues.

For what I am seeing I think is something to do with how the BIOS is using the MBR Disk Signature, would anyone be able to explain how this works?

Regards,

Zac Shenker

3 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

The only thing I can think of, if Windows Disk Management gives different results than your software, is to compare the MBR Disk Signature between a drive done by WDM and one done by your software. What are they setting?

idata
Community Manager

My general situtation is that I have 2x SSD Data Drives & an SSD Boot Drive

The MBR Signature my software is producing are of the format:

00DFC325 - Data 1

005ECD34 - Data 2

00000001(Boot/OS Drive - OCZ Turbo SSD)

Ones that I have seen from Windows Disk Management:

123096F4 - Data 1

153096F6 - Data 2

A3023969 - Data 1

A302396B - Data 2

9EBF9RBF(Boot/OS Drive - Intel X25-E SSD)

D895AE4B- Data 1

D895AE49 - Data 2

DD57DD57(Boot/OS Drive - Intel X25-E SSD)

The major issue that I am having is that when I boot up with drives that I have initialised in my software the boot order will be changed to use them rather than my OS drive. When I use Data disks initialized with Windows Disk Management I do not have this issue.

Zac

Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Well, clearly the Boot/OS drive data is quite different. I can't tell what role the BIOS would be playing here, though.

I would almost suggest asking for help from people who also code their own drive initialization/formatting software, maybe. It's pretty far beyond the scope of the normal server stuff we see in here.