Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Boot issue about S1200BTL with HGST/sTec S1120 PCIe SSA

晨李2
New Contributor I

Hi

I have a S1200BTL board, and a HGST/sTec S1120 PCIe Solid State Accelerater.

S1200BTL Board

BIOS : S1200BT.86B.02.00.0041.120520121743

ME : ME_02_02_00_049

BMC : 1.17

FRUSDR : 1.16

HGST S1120 SSA

FW: V0A5

The Product Specification of S1120 said the SSA support UEFI boot. So my plan is using it as the boot, ESXi System and datastore drive.

But I can't boot it with my server which the motherboard is S1200BTL. So I must use a SATA drive as the boot and ESXi System drive.

I can't find the SSA in BIOS/PCIe Device page. And the EFI Shell don't show any Filesystem or Device of it.

I also tried to install Windows in UEFI mode. After the final reboot, I can see the Windows Boot Manager in Boot select screen, but no work. ENTER it, the screen will blink black and go back to Boot select screen.

What should I do?

Thank.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi,

The issue you are experiencing is related to compatibility since the hardware you are installing has not been validated for the board:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032418.htm Server Products — Tested Memory and Hardware List

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

nightTOB , this PCIE SSD card was made before NVMe protocol standadization, so do not support NVMe boot (neither your 2011-year mainboard). It also have no boot-capable BIOS onboard, like RAID-adapters. It`s exactly accelerator, something that you use as fast data storage, not a full HDD\SSD replacement.

0 Kudos
晨李2
New Contributor I

The SSA is a SCSI protocol storage device. And should boot as PCIE-SCSI device.

You mean the BIOS can not boot PCIE-SCSI device?

I can see the boot option of LSI MR 9260-8i RAID-adapter.

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

No, just SCSI bus is not enough to boot. You need a BIOS extension to, at least, support INT13h for devices on bus. This extension may be in MB BIOS, or in separate ROM on bus adapter. LSI card have one, HGST card - not. For example, Adaptec made SCSI/SAS HBAs with and without BIOS - first able to boot, last not.

0 Kudos
晨李2
New Contributor I

I think the S1120 don't support INT13. So that is the problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

The issue you are experiencing is related to compatibility since the hardware you are installing has not been validated for the board:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032418.htm Server Products — Tested Memory and Hardware List

0 Kudos
晨李2
New Contributor I
0 Kudos