Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Bricked S2600G(L/Z)?

stemp2
Beginner

Hi Guys,

So i was trying to upgrade firmware on my server.

I ran flashupdt -u \flashupdt.cfg and went away when it was "Upgrading HBSP and PSU firmware..."

After i came back the server was running - fans were spinning but no signal on the screen. I left it running for couple of minutes but there was no change so i rebooted the server - it didn't come back.

System Status LED is solid Amber and 2nd,3rd green POST LED is on which means: 06h Early CPU initialisation during Sec Phase. and it stays like that forever.

I tried to swap CPUs, run with only one CPU (both CPUs tested) and the error is always the same.

Then i tried to flash using BIOS Recovery Procedure and i'm getting 1st,4th green LED on and 1st,2nd,3rd,4th Amber LED ON with 2 Beeps and 4 Beeps in the background.

I also tried different CPU configuration and nothing helps.

The only difference i see (i think so) is when i have USB drive inserted and not inserted.

When there's no USB Mass Storage beeps happens so quickly as described in the manual but when i insert the USB there's 1 second break between each set of beeps. Maybe i'm doing something wrong?

Does it means i bricked motherboard?

0 Kudos
33 Replies
stemp2
Beginner

Attaching Event Log from flashing process:

0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Looks like it didn't flash the bios cause RMM reports old version:

0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Another update

After 2 beeps the lights go "ON" on the USB Stick so it means it's trying to read something but it can't?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

In regards to your issue, you can try to move the BIOS recovery jumper block from its default pin position, the system will boot into a BIOS Recovery mode. This procedure It is used when the system BIOS has become corrupted and non- functional, such as your case, requiring a new BIOS image to be loaded. Please the check the technical product specification https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/s2600gzgl_tps_r2_4.pdf here for more detailed information, page 92.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for your answer but as already stated in the second part of my opening post i have already done that.after two beeps it tries to read pendrive cause lighta on it are blinking but suddenly i get another foir beeps which meana it cant read RML.ROM from it. The recovery procedure is pretty simple, pit files on the root of usb drive, change the jumper and power on the server. Is there any special requirements?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

As an additional troubleshooting step shut down the server and disconnect the AC power cord from the main socket, remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and hold down the power button in order to completely drain the power of your system.

Then, place the battery again and try to turn you system again.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

This didn't help - same issue again...

Can you please have a look on the video and the logs because from what i can see it's:

- 00:31 it starts the recovery F2h - Recovery PEIM (Recovery Started)

- 00:32 F3h - Recovery PEIM (Capsule found)

- 00:33 It fails. 4 beeps means BIOS Recovery Failed but what LEDs indicate, i couldn't find that code in the manual.

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Ltm0DrSAo&feature=youtu.be Intel BIOS Recovery Fails - YouTube

debug logs attached to a ticket

When i run in normal mode with both CPUs i get Status ID SOLID AMBER and error code: 06h - Early CPU initialization during Sec Phase

When i run in normal mode with one CPU i get Status ID SOLID AMBER and error code: 09h - End of Sec Phase

System Event Log from normal boot attached

IMPORTANT: can you confirm it's a motherboard and not something else that failed? I want to be sure before i spend money on new motherboard?

EDIT: I was going through the logs from flashing process. CATERR are realted to CPU/Memory, would they be triggered in failed BIOS flash?

EventID:1163 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:04:01 SensorName:FW Update Status Sensor Type:Version Change Description:Update started for BMC instance 0. Version 1.17. Build ID 4151. -Asserted

EventID:1164 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:05:57 SensorName:FW Update Status Sensor Type:Version Change Description:Update completed successfully for BMC instance 0. Version 1.27. Build ID 9958. -Asserted

EventID:1165 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:07:08 SensorName:PS2 Status Sensor Type:Power Supply Description:reports the power supply's presence has been detected -Deasserted

EventID:1166 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:07:12 SensorName:SAS Mod Presence Sensor Type:Module / Board Description:reports the device has been inserted or is present -Asserted

EventID:1167 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:07:54 SensorName:Pwr Unit Redund Sensor Type:Power Unit Description:reports full redundancy has been regained -Deasserted

EventID:1168 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:07:54 SensorName:Pwr Unit Redund Sensor Type:Power Unit Description:reports redundancy has been lost -Asserted

EventID:1169 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:07:54 SensorName:Pwr Unit Redund Sensor Type:Power Unit Description:reports redundancy has been lost, but the unit is still functioning with the minimum amount of resources needed for normal operation -Asserted

EventID:1170 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:11:51 SensorName:HDD 0 Status Sensor Type:Drive Slot (Bay) Description:Drive Presence -Asserted

EventID:1171 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:11:51 SensorName:HDD 1 Status Sensor Type:Drive Slot (Bay) Description:Drive Presence -Asserted

EventID:1172 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:11:51 SensorName:HDD 2 Status Sensor Type:Drive Slot (Bay) Description:Drive Presence -Asserted

EventID:1173 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:11:51 SensorName:HDD 3 Status Sensor Type:Drive Slot (Bay) Description:Drive Presence -Asserted

EventID:1174 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:11:52 SensorName:FW Update Status Sensor Type:Version Change Description:Update started for BIOS instance 0. Version 1.6.0002. -Asserted

EventID:1175 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:13:24 SensorName:SMI Timeout Sensor Type:OEM Reserved Description:reports it has been asserted -Asserted

EventID:1176 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:13:49 SensorName:Pwr Unit Redund Sensor Type:Power Unit Description:reports redundancy has been lost -Deasserted

EventID:1177 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:13:49 SensorName:Pwr Unit Redund Sensor Type:Power Unit Description:reports redundancy has been lost, but the unit is still functioning with the minimum amount of resources needed for normal operation -Deasserted

EventID:1178 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:13:49 SensorName:SMI Timeout Sensor Type:OEM Reserved Description:reports it has been asserted -Deasserted

EventID:1179 Time Stamp:06/25/2017 11:13:51 SensorName:Pwr Unit Redund Sensor Type:Power Unit Description:reports redundancy has been lost -Asserted

EventID:1180 <span c...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

With all this information, it looks like the problem is the motherboard. But on the beginning of the conversation, you stated testing different CPU configuration. Does the system has more than one CPU and how many memory sticks. If more than one on either CPU or Memory, I will recommend to test one CPU and one memory stick at a time.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Hi Henry,

Thank you for looking at this. So you recon it's not broken due to flash failure?

Server has 2 cpus and 12x 8GB memory sticks

Please see my last post i pasted error codes i was getting with one cpu A1B1 occupied and 2xcpu A1B1 E1D1 occupied

From the top of my head i can't tell you all different configurations i tried so far. I'm away till saturday but when i'm back i will test as many different configurations as possible

Regards,

Andrzej

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

Thank you for the update. Then at this moment it sounds like the system board needs replacement. Best option will be to contact your local Intel Authorized Reseller or place of purchase to other a replacement.

If for any reason they are not able to help you, please provide us with:
  • System board PBA number.
  • System board Serial number.
  • Company name and ID number for Intel.
  • Contact name and address for the replacement.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Hi Henry,

So i tried to contact the company i bought the server from but no reply - they already know i was trying to flash bios and they said they are not taking responsibility . It was a surplus and i bought it on ebay.

I'm not able to provide company name and ID because i bought that server for myself for my homelab to learn IT.

Can you please let me know if i'm eligible for the replacement cause if not i will start looking for a spare one on ebay.

Regards,

Andrzej
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

Thank you for the update. Then at this moment it sounds like the system board needs replacement. Best option will be to contact your local Intel Authorized Reseller or place of purchase to other a replacement.

• Copy of the proof of purchase and where it was bought from.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

• Copy of the proof of purchase and where it was bought from.This will help me verify warranty.

Best regards,

Henry A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We just sent you a private message requesting some additional information.

Regards.
0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Hi,

Sent you additional information

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

I am sorry about the dealy. We are still verifying the information you provided us. This because normally items purchased in eBay does not have warranty with Intel. But I am still checking on this. I will get back with you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
CEvan3
Beginner

Thank you for your support. It does help me a lot!

https://spanishto-english.com/ spanish to english

0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

I am sorry about the delay. At this moment the best option will be to contact your region support tea. Please check on the following web site for the https://www.intel.pl/content/www/pl/pl/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html Contact Center.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Hi Henry,

Could you please be more specific and explain to me why would i need to contact my region support team? Forgive me but for me you sound more like a bot than a human. Your answers are rather general than specific.

This is going for more than a week and the only thing i know is my "motherboard needs to be replaced". No information what failed, no information why it failed.

Please sound more like a human.

0 Kudos