Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Bricked S2600G(L/Z)?

stemp2
Beginner

Hi Guys,

So i was trying to upgrade firmware on my server.

I ran flashupdt -u \flashupdt.cfg and went away when it was "Upgrading HBSP and PSU firmware..."

After i came back the server was running - fans were spinning but no signal on the screen. I left it running for couple of minutes but there was no change so i rebooted the server - it didn't come back.

System Status LED is solid Amber and 2nd,3rd green POST LED is on which means: 06h Early CPU initialisation during Sec Phase. and it stays like that forever.

I tried to swap CPUs, run with only one CPU (both CPUs tested) and the error is always the same.

Then i tried to flash using BIOS Recovery Procedure and i'm getting 1st,4th green LED on and 1st,2nd,3rd,4th Amber LED ON with 2 Beeps and 4 Beeps in the background.

I also tried different CPU configuration and nothing helps.

The only difference i see (i think so) is when i have USB drive inserted and not inserted.

When there's no USB Mass Storage beeps happens so quickly as described in the manual but when i insert the USB there's 1 second break between each set of beeps. Maybe i'm doing something wrong?

Does it means i bricked motherboard?

0 Kudos
33 Replies
PElde
Beginner

Question: How is the flash drive formatted that is being used to run the BIOS recovery step?

We keep a couple 512MB (yes, MB! ) and 1GB sticks formatted FAT32 just for this purpose.

0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Hi Philip,

I thought this could be the issue but i wasn't able to find any useful information about the recovery drive.

the smalles capacity i have is Kingston DataTraveler:

DISKPART> detail disk

Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 USB Device

Disk ID: {E3EFC71A-2412-463B-A8B8-7A21FCDCC4F1}

Type : USB

Path : 0

Target : 0

LUN ID : 0

Location Path : UNAVAILABLE

Current Read-only State : No

Read-only : No

Boot Disk : No

Pagefile Disk : No

Hibernation File Disk : No

Crashdump Disk : No

Clustered Disk : No

Volume # Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

DISKPART> list partition

Partition # Type Size Offset

------------- ---------------- ------- -------

Partition 1 System 7654 MB 1024 KB

0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

You are the man Philip!!!

I used 2GB usb stick and it recovered the BIOS!!! Thank you very much for your answer i really appreciate it!

USE =<2GB USB STICK TO RECOVER YOUR BIOS</strong>

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

I am sorry about the delay. At this moment the best option will be to contact your region support tea. Please check on the following web site for the https://www.intel.pl/content/www/pl/pl/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html Contact Center.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

I am sorry if I sounded like a bot, I am human. And I am sorry I did added the information why you need to contact your region https://www.intel.pl/content/www/pl/pl/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html Contact Center. The reason is because they will be able to provide you with the best options for warranty. And the reason for a possible failure, I am afraid there is not one. When you flash firmware's anything can go wrong.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Apologise, i just got mad when i saw you replying the same formula to a bot as if it was me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

We are following up your case and we would like to know if your need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Hi Sergio,

I was pretty busy recently and i didn't have time to ring/e-mail support in UK. I will try to do that ASAP and come back to you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No problem , please keep us posted.

0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

So everything is back as it was when i bought the server

one issue i had during the firmware update process:

1. I recovered to the same BIOS version as i had before

2. Upgraded to version 01.08.0003. During SDR/FRU update it detected only 2x8 Slots (instead of 3x8 - 24 slots) but i guess it's because i don't have cables connected to HSBP from SAS Expander

3. Upgraded to version 02.01.0002. During SDR/FRU update i got following message:

Hot-swap HDD backplane detected but its FRU data is either corrupted or blank.

Falling back to User chassis selection as auto detection not possible

So i selected R2224 as i guessed it's a chassis with 24 disk slots. When it came back after reboot i couldn't find any sensors in RMM but HDD were detected in the first four slots.

4. Upgraded to version 02.06.0005. During SDR/FRU update i got same message as before and same issue - no sensors related to HBSP at all.

5. Downgraded SDR/FRU to version 1.07 and upgrade process detected 2x8 slots.

Do i need to connect remaining ports on the backplane in order to correctly detect chassis type by update process?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

In regards to your question, the SDR/FRU update will keep failing until you connect the rest of the ports on the HSBP.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Hi Sergio,

Thank you for your answer. Ticket can be closed.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sayetan,

As per your request, I will proceed and close your case.

Sergio S.
0 Kudos