Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Cabling configuration for 2 x intel FUP4x35HSDK to S2600IP4 motherboard in a P4000 chassis

idata
Employee

I have a P4216IP4HKC server, which I am replacing boit the 8x 2.5' hot swap drive cages to 2 x FUP4x35HSDK

Its not clear where the SGIPO and the I2c in and out cabling goes , with respect to the S2600IP4 motherboard, and also to both 4 x 3.5i drive cages.

Would like a clear, easy to understand guide.

much thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

We would like to inform you that the cabling for the I2C goes from the board into the "IN" on the first back plane. Then from the "OUT of the first back plane to the "IN" of the second back plane and consecutively. I am afraid to tell you we do not offer a manual but you can take a look at the following note from the cabling guide page # 17 for your convenience:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/c200_c600_enclosure_management_cabling_guide_v15.pdf C600 Cabling guide

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you. What about the i2c cable ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Actually let me correct my answer. The I2c cable is the one you connect between the backplanes to properly update the firmware on these components following the instructions given above. The SGPIO will enable LED support on the drives if they offer such feature and I will get back to you with a answer shortly for such cabling.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Regarding the SGPIO cable connection, there is no connector on the board reason why you will need to obtain a hardware RAID controller and use a SATA to mini SAS cable with 5 pin SGPIO cable embedded.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So to clear my confusion:

My S2600IP4 motherboard has NO connector for a SGPIO cable connection to either of the

2 x FUP4x35HSDK? Its original configuration has 2 x 8x25 hotswap cages - which does have a cable from the motherboard HBSP to the cages, and also from 1 cage to another.

There are 2 cables in each of the FUP4x35HSDK , one is labelled SGPIO and the other I2C - Neither of these is to be used?

Surely, at least 1 of the cables need to be used, aside from the obvious sata and molex power cables

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Your affirmation is correct, the board does not have a SGPIO connector reason why we recommend daisy chaining the backplanes using the I2C as previously explained.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

so no SGPIO connnection.

Is there an I2C cable connection from the S2600IP4 motherboard to the first backplane of the FUP4x35SDK?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

To answer your question, yes it is a HSBP_I2C header on the board and the location can be found http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g34153004_s2600ip_w2600cr_tps_rev151.pdf here page # 5
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The i2c cable supplied with the FUP4x35HSDK has a 5 five on one end, and a 3 pin on one end

How do I connect from the I2c "out" of the first FUP4x35HSDK to the i2c "in" of the 2nd FUP4x35HSDK?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

If you take a close look to the cable you will see that the 5 pin cable has two blink spaces, just make sure that you are matching the connection with the wired spaces on both the 3 pin and 5 pin ends of the cable. They should match properly disregarding if they are "In" or "Out".

0 Kudos