Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Can I use the BMC Dedicated Management port also as a NIC Port for server network connectivity?

COwen5
Beginner

I have the following server model:

Product Name: S2600WF0

Product Part Number: J44809-003

It has one BMC Management Port, but no on-board NIC ports. I'm able to get a DHCP IP for the BMC, and can get access via a web browser.

Question: I'd like to use the BMC Dedicated Management port also as a NIC port. Currently, I'm unable to get this port working also as a NIC port. My intention is to PXE boot off this port, but also use it as a BMC Management interface.

I have read this document for the server:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/Purley_RMM4_BMC_User_Guide.pdf

Page 52 shows a statement of "Shared between Host and BMC". If this can be done with the Dedicated BMC port, I'm looking for instructions on how to enable this.

My BIOS only shows a DHCP IP for the Baseboard LAN Configuration, OR the Dedicated Management LAN configuration, but never acquires a DHCP IP for each. Thus, I'm unsure if this is possible with the Dedicated Management port.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoseH_Intel
Hello COwen5, Thank you for joining the community. According to the Technical Product Specification document for this particular board: (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600WF_TPS.pdf ) the dedicated management port does not have the dual capability like in some previous board models. The embedded NIC are found on the S2600WFT only. In your particular case you will need to implement a PCI NIC board in order for your server to have network connectivity. Hope this helps. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello COwen5, Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue? Please do not hesitate to contact us back. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello COwen5, Do you have any further details, updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue? This thread will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 48 hours if no activity is received. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
COwen5
Beginner
No more questions or details. It can be resolved. Thank you, Cowen
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello COwen5, Thanks for the updates. In that case we will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos