Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Can't Reach BMC Web after Update

idata
Employee

I have an Intel Server Systems H2300JF chassis with Intel S2600JF server boards. I upgraded the BIOS recently on one of the server boards and since then, I've had problems reaching its via the web gui. I'm running Linux on the server and I can communicate with the BMC via ipmitool. I've tried "ipmitool bmc reset cold". Earlier today, that would regain me access for a while but now even that stopped working. I've reflashed the BMC firmware (several times), pulled the tray to power it down, tried the recovery jumper -- nothing seems to want to get it going again.

What do I do now? Any ideas? Thanks. -- Bud

# ipmitool bmc reset cold

Sent cold reset command to MC

# ipmitool bmc info

Device ID : 33

Device Revision : 1

Firmware Revision : 1.16

IPMI Version : 2.0

Manufacturer ID : 343

Manufacturer Name : Intel Corporation

Product ID : 77 (0x004d)

Product Name : Unknown (0x4D)

Device Available : yes

Provides Device SDRs : no

Additional Device Support :

Sensor Device

SDR Repository Device

SEL Device

FRU Inventory Device

IPMB Event Receiver

IPMB Event Generator

Chassis Device

Aux Firmware Rev Info :

0x01

0x14

0xaa

0x0f

# ipmitool lan print

Set in Progress : Set Complete

Auth Type Support : MD5 PASSWORD

Auth Type Enable : Callback : MD5 PASSWORD

: User : MD5 PASSWORD

: Operator : MD5 PASSWORD

: Admin : MD5 PASSWORD

: OEM :

IP Address Source : Static Address

IP Address : 10.6.1.111

Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

MAC Address : 00:1e:67:39:6c:db

SNMP Community String : public

IP Header : TTL=0x00 Flags=0x00 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x00

BMC ARP Control : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled

Gratituous ARP Intrvl : 0.0 seconds

Default Gateway IP : 10.6.1.1

Default Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00

Backup Gateway IP : 0.0.0.0

Backup Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00

802.1q VLAN ID : Disabled

802.1q VLAN Priority : 0

RMCP+ Cipher Suites : 0,1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,11,12,13,15,16,17,18

Cipher Suite Priv Max : caaaaaaaaaaaaaa

: X=Cipher Suite Unused

: c=CALLBACK

: u=USER

: o=OPERATOR

: a=ADMIN

: O=OEM

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisB_Intel

Bud,

Sorry for the delay in response I just saw your post last night. We set this up in our lab and were unable to reproduce the problem. Can you provide me a step by step of what you have done so far, including the update process? Additionally, can you send me more details about your system configuration?

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or don't want to post it publically.

Thanks

Chris

idata
Employee

Chris, Sorry as well, I forgot I posted this here. This appears to be some sort of network issue. I have sort of figured out what was going on but maybe you can help further explain.

I am accessing the IPMI via the integrated NICs. I had this server plugged into two different networks. The first lan connection was on 10.60.1.0/24 and the second was on a different switch - 10.6.1.0/24. I originally had configured the ipmi interface on the 10.6.1.0/24 network and before the bios upgrade, I had no problem accessing it. After the upgrade, It was flaky then it didn't work at all.

This past weekend, I was at the data center and disconnected the server from the 10.6.1.0/24 network and reconfigured the ipmi interface to be on the 10.60.1.0/24 network. That seems to have solved the problem and I can access the web interface again.

Originally, I wanted to dedicate the second integrated NIC to the ipmi and have a dedicated network for accessing it. Does the ipmi only work on the first integrated NIC?

Thanks.

-- Bud

0 Kudos
ChrisB_Intel

Bud,

You should be able to communicate with the BMC via either NIC port. However, you might check the actual IP address on the BMC. When you did the update it may have defaulted back to DHCP and picked up a different IP address, or an IP from the other network. If you console into the system you should be able to find that IP address and and hopefully identify the issue.

Please let me know

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah, in my original post, you can see that the BMC (ipmitool lan print) was reporting the correct info (static and the correct ip, subnet, etc). Not sure why it wasn't working on the second NIC. Anyway, I have access to the machine now so I'm on to solving other issues. -- Bud

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Either NIC can be configured to respond to the BMC, but the default is NIC1.

0 Kudos