Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Cannot assign LUNs to multiple servers if LUN created before MFSLUNKEY added

idata
Employee

Environment: MFSYS25V2 with firmware 11.6 and MFS5520VIR compute modules

We've had this chassis running for a few months with two compute modules running and some existing virtual drives. This week we added the shared LUN feature (MFSLUNKEY) and attempted to assign some existing LUNs to multiple servers. When clicking the Apply button to assign the change, nothing happens (no error, nothing).

What we've determined is that we can only assign LUNs to multiple servers if the LUNs were created after the MFSLUNKEY was activated on the server. This may be a known limitation (but unknown to me) or a bug. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

It seems to work okay here. I have seen this with certain browsers at times, though - have you tried IE, Firefox, and Chrome, to see if they all do the same thing?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Dan,

I did actually try all three browsers and I can consistently reproduce the behavior in all three browsers and even on different computers. I can assign multiple servers to any virtual drive created after I activated the shared LUN feature, but for any drive created before hand, clicking Apply does nothing (it doesn't even throw an error).

Jason

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I enabled the error console on Firefox on one of the computers I was trying this with and here is the error I see when I click Apply to assign multiple servers to an existing virtual drive:

Timestamp: 11/4/2012 7:52:12 AM

Warning: A form was submitted in the windows-1252 encoding which cannot encode all Unicode characters, so user input may get corrupted. To avoid this problem, the page should be changed so that the form is submitted in the UTF-8 encoding either by changing the encoding of the page itself to UTF-8 or by specifying accept-charset=utf-8 on the form element.

Source File: https://10.0.1.20/component_view/dialog/urlDialog.php?cid=5101&instanceId=22A60001551038A1&buttonLabel=Assign&action=assignToBladeSlot&callType=inc&methodCall=doAssignToBladeSlot&confirm=1&submitBtnAttrs=disabled&submitBtnValue=Apply&helpId=902&timeout=70&busyText=&onOKMsg=&requiredKey=0&longDescription=Reassign/unassign%20virtual%20drive%20from%20... https://10.0.1.20/component_view/dialog/urlDialog.php?cid=5101&instanceId=22A60001551038A1&buttonLabel=Assign&action=assignToBladeSlot&callType=inc&methodCall=doAssignToBladeSlot&confirm=1&submitBtnAttrs=disabled&submitBtnValue=Apply&helpId=902&timeout=70&busyText=&onOKMsg=&requiredKey=0&longDescription=Reassign/unassign%20virtual%20drive%20from%20...

Line: 0

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Are you using the Intel® Modular Server Virtualization Manager (MFSVRT)? If you're not using that, I would recommend firmware 10.16. It has newer GUI code than the 11.x stack, and doesn't seem to have the same inconsistencies as the 11.x stack.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Dan,

We did install the MFSVRT when we first got the chassis, but the product didn't end up meeting our needs so we no longer use it and instead are running VMWare on the compute modules in this chassis. Is it possible to downgrade from 11.x to 10.16?

Jason

0 Kudos