Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Chassis H2224XXKR2 with Module HNS2600TP24R don't let use 6 SATA or SAS Disks without RAID

JPera3
Beginner

Hi

The server Server Chassis H2224XXKR2 with Compute Module HNS2600TP24R, must allow to use 6 SATA or SAS Disk without RAID. So only We are able to see 4 Disks. How Can We see the other 2 Disks.

Thanks

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JoePerales,

Thank you for contacting Intel, I'm sorry for the late response.

I'm currently working on replicating the scenario and reviewing the available documentation to clarify what could or couldn't be done with this set up, I'll be back with further information shortly.

Kenneth R.

Intel Server Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JoePerales,

I just finish reviewing the information available so far, and I have some questions:
  1. What type of drives are being used (model, brand)?
  2. Where are these drives being seen (raid bios, RWC, OS)?
  3. What are the bays that show drive activity?
  4. Are all the drives confirmed to be fully operational (have you tried to swap bays to see if the behavior still shows on the same bays?
  5. Is it a new implementation or it was working and it failed?
  6. What troubleshoot have you performed so far?
  7. can you confirm what is the model of bridgeboard you currently have?, how does it look?, you may want to send a picture as this system is compatible with 2 different types of bridgeboard.
On this system depending on what bridgeboard you have it may act as a controller making no difference on how many drives you have up to 6 meaning that there should be no activation task in this regard as long as no onboard solution is active (ESRT2, RSTE), assuming that is correct the fact that only four drives are recognizable indicates that there could be physical damage on bays, backplane or bridgeboard or in the other hand it could be caused for firmware corruption, in any case it is important to confirm all physical devices are properly seated, that you're using either RWC or Rais BIOS to set the array and to be running proper firmware versions.

While you're working on confirming this getting a diagnose file would be also very useful, to do so please do as follows:
  1. You will need USB flash drive formatted as FAT32.
  2. Please download the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26915/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo-for-Intel-Server-Boards-and-Systems-based-on-Intel-62X-Chipset Sysinfo_V14_0_Build17_AllOS.zip package, extract the contents of the Sysinfo_V14_0_Build12_AllOS\Sysinfo_V14_0_Build12_AllOS\UEFIfolder into the root of the flash drive (not into a folder).
  3. Boot into Internal EFI Shell (with the Thumb drive connected to the server), get into the flash drive with the command "FS0: + enter" and run the sysinfo.efi file for the utility to start. (FS) may change depending on what USB port is being used,, try with FS1, FS2 or change the USB port if needed.
  4. Once the utility complete its process, it will copy the log file on your flash drive.
I'll stay tuned to your comments if you have any kind of question or doubts please let me know.

Ken
0 Kudos
JPera3
Beginner

Hi Ken,

Thanks, hope you can Help us, please see my answers below your Questions

1. What type of drives are being used (model, brand)?
    • Wear are using 6 Intel SSDSC2KB019T701 S4500 Series 1.9tb 2.5 In per module it means 24 Disk in the server and Also CT2050MX300SSD1 Crucial MX300 2TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive also I tried with other disk so far.
  2. Where are these drives being seen (raid bios, RWC, OS)?
    • BIOS under UEFI mode advanced/PCI/ROM/under LSI section I only see 4 Disk per module and also in the boot order I can see only 4 Disks also if I boot on legacy I can see 4 disk when pressing Crtl -C under controller LSI SAS3800
  3. What are the bays that show drive activity?
    • First 4 Bays of each module, each module has 6 bays and 24 the server.
  4. Are all the drives confirmed to be fully operational (have you tried to swap bays to see if the behavior still shows on the same bays?
    • Yes we swap between the Bays and same results, also we installed a OS and tried different brand disks.
  5. Is it a new implementation or it was working and it failed?
    • New Implementation, we purchased the servers from Ingram Micro on 9/6/2017 and still We can not use the 6 disks.
  6. What troubleshoot have you performed so far?
    • Really I have been trying with others disk without luck so far. Also I purchased and tried with another Bridgeboard VPN AHWKPTP12GBGBR5 INTEL - SPARES/ACCESSORIES 12GB SAS BRIDGE BOARD RAID 0/1/10/5 and still nothing, note this bridgeboard is not compatible. We have 3 modules with 2 CPU and we have been trying with different options. Also we update all the BIOS, FRU and all.
  7. can you confirm what is the model of bridgeboard you currently have?, how does it look?, you may want to send a picture as this system is compatible with 2 different types of bridgeboard.
    • FHWKPTPBGB24 using 2 CPU in each module. HEY KEN PLEASE COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT ARE THE 2 DIFFERENT TYPES OF BRIDGEBOARD? An Sorry for the Uppercase so I think the solution could be there.

On this system depending on what bridgeboard you have it may act as a controller making no difference on how many drives you have up to 6 meaning that there should be no activation task in this regard as long as no onboard solution is active (ESRT2, RSTE), assuming that is correct the fact that only four drives are recognizable indicates that there could be physical damage on bays, backplane or bridgeboard or in the other hand it could be caused for firmware corruption, in any case it is important to confirm all physical devices are properly seated, that you're using either RWC or Rais BIOS to set the array and to be running proper firmware versions.

While you're working on confirming this getting a diagnose file would be also very useful, to do so please do as follows:

1. You will need USB flash drive formatted as FAT32.
  2. Please download the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26915/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo-for-Intel-Server-Boards-and-Systems-based-on-Intel-62X-Chipset Sysinfo_V14_0_Build17_AllOS.zip package, extract the contents of the Sysinfo_V14_0_Build12_AllOS\Sysinfo_V14_0_Build12_AllOS\UEFIfolder into the root of the flash drive (not into a folder).
  3. Boot into Internal EFI Shell (with the Thumb drive connected to the server), get into the flash drive with the command "FS0: + enter" and run the sysinfo.efi file for the utility to start. (FS) may change depending on what USB port is being used,, try with FS1, FS2 or change the USB port if needed.
  4. Once the utility complete its process, it will copy the log file on your flash drive.

Attached the log

/servlet/JiveServlet/download/502316-175362/Archive.zip https://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/502316-175362/Archive.zip

Have a great Day!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JoePerales,

Sure I am still making some research and trying to replicate the set up, as soon as we can confirm a viable solution I will be contacting you back either by this portal or by email just to mention every other bridge board solution would be 6/GBs, with no controller and will only see 4 drives anyway, for this system the best options is the one we already have, so looking in to a different bridge at this point will leave us without raid solution and with the same amount of functional drives.

In any case please bear with me a little longer while work on replicating this so we can proceed accordingly, if you have any further doubt or concern please let me know.

Ken
0 Kudos
JPera3
Beginner

Hi Ken,

Any news regarding this issue, Really is very weird that the server has 24 Disk Enclosure and only is working 16, and all the Docs said that works with 6 disk per module and there are 4 modules.

This equipment is very expensive and is new, please let us know as soon you get a solution.

Kind regards

Jose

0 Kudos
JPera3
Beginner

Hi Ken,

Please are you still in this case?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JoePerales,

I'm sorry for the delay on this I'm still working on this, also I've involved the second level of support in order to review this and look for solutions, just to confirm and be able to move forward with it:

I want to clarify something, back when this tread was opened you mentioned that with this bridgeboard you should get the six drives (which technically correct) without using a raid controller, does that statement mean you're planning on using the drives as stand alone instead of raid mode or that you're planing on using the controller integrated in the bridgeboard itself?, also I would like to understand, whats is expected usage this system will be given?

Once again I'm sorry for the delay and really look forward for those pieces of information to proceed towards the next step.

I'll stay tunned to your comments.

Ken.
0 Kudos
JPera3
Beginner

Hi Ken,

Yes We are planning to use the six disk on each module in the server without raid controller. Yes We are planning to use the 24 disk slots in the server.

You mentioned before that You have another bridgeboard for the module. Did you find it?

We are very disappointed with the server because have been 2 months without results. Please Help

Kind Regards

Jose

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JoePerales,

I do understand and I apologize for the long delay. Regarding the other bridgeboard, it is actually a 6GB/s so it will only support 4 drives for sure, leaving us in the same spot, however, with the last piece of information you provided I can move ahead and involve the next level of support in to this, I'll push as much as I can with this so we can have them figure out what is going on

Then again I apologize and give you my commitment to keep track on this until an answer.

Your case is being escalated right away, so keep track of any incoming email or updates on this trend as the level 2 engineer will contact you soon.

Ken
0 Kudos
JPera3
Beginner

Hi Ken,

Please could you help on this?

Kind regards

Jose

0 Kudos
JPera3
Beginner

Hello Ken,

Please What Happened ?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
JPera3
Beginner

Hi Ken,

Ok waiting for the Intel help and support, I appreciate it, According to the specifications must be all 24 enable for that.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JoePerales,

Sorry for the delayed answer, please follow up on the emails sent to your address as some info may be sensitive.
0 Kudos
JPera3
Beginner

Not Email Received

Please

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JoePerales,

It seems that one of our representatives is working with you directly to expedite the resolution of your case.

We will be updating this post once we have a resolution for this situation.

Best regards,

David A.
0 Kudos
JPera3
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks for took time to respond something.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JoePerales,

I'm sending over the previous emails to address registered in your account, among others we would like to confirm the modules are working with dual processor and if not to add one from a different module and try the drives, just for testing.

Lokking forward to your answer.

Ken
0 Kudos
JPera3
Beginner

Yes 3 Modules with 2 CPU and 1 Module with 1 CPU, and all four module not working all disks. And each 3 Modules has 198Mb Ram and 1 has 64Mb ram.

0 Kudos