Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Chrome cannot download the jviewer.jnlp file presented by the BMC in order to remote control.

JVand64
Beginner

I would say in early January 2020 this stopped working in Chrome.

The browser prompts for a download location for the file, then says that the download has failed because the file is incomplete.

Remote Management Module key :Installed

Device (BMC) Available :Yes

BMC FW Build Time :2018-06-07 11:48:53

BIOS ID :SE5C610.86B.01.01.0027.071020182329

BMC FW Rev :1.53.11210

Boot FW Rev :1.07

SDR Package Version :SDR Package 1.17

Mgmt Engine (ME) FW Rev :03.01.03.050

Board Information

Manufacturing Date :2018-10-16 16:34

Manufacturer :Intel Corporation

Product Name :S2600TPR

Serial Number:BQTP84100519

Part/Model Number :H26989-274

FRU File ID :FRU Ver 1.00

Product Information

Manufacturer :Intel Corporation

Name :S2600TPR

Part/Model Number :J88565-001

Version :LTP2312KR420002

Serial Number:AAE19010221N

We have 10 of these blade-based systems. They happen to be Cohesity C2605 nodes. They all act the same. I have signed certificates on all of them, signed by our internal trusted CA. The CA is trusted by the browser and java installations. The IP addresses are also listed as trusted sites in the java configuration.

There has been a lot of chatter over the years about Chrome auto-launching javaws once the file has downloaded. I am not concerned about that functionality and know how to launch javaws separately.

I can still get this to work when using the Firefox browser.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JoseH_Intel

Hello JVand64,

Thank you for joining the community

What you describe is expected behavior from Chrome since java applets are no longer supported in Chrome. You can check this article directly from Java about this issue.

In the meantime you can use a different browser like Firefox as you already are doing. Alternately, on newer server boards with BIOS versions 2.00 and above, the BMC console launches in HTML5 which will work in Chrome with no problems.

Regards

Jose A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello JVand64,

Thank you for joining the community

What you describe is expected behavior from Chrome since java applets are no longer supported in Chrome. You can check this article directly from Java about this issue.

In the meantime you can use a different browser like Firefox as you already are doing. Alternately, on newer server boards with BIOS versions 2.00 and above, the BMC console launches in HTML5 which will work in Chrome with no problems.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JVand64
Beginner

The article has a link to another article suggesting using JNLP and Java Web Start as an alternative, saying it will work in any browser, since the javaws process ends up running outside the browser. All the browser has to do is download the JNLP file from the site. The JNLP download is what these boards are attempting. This was working in Chrome until January 2020. I suspect something changed in Chrome and surprised no one in the community has pointed out the change and what to do about it.

As I said, I am not concerned whether Chrome will auto-launch javaws. I just want the file to download.

The hardware is a storage appliance so I don't have much control over the server board versions and BIOS.

0 Kudos
Peteski
Beginner

I'm having the same issue. What's interesting is that every browser I've tried is blocking the download.

There's something specific about the way that the Intel BMC is presenting the jnlp for download.

For example, I can do to this URL and download a basic, safe jnlp file that opens notepad.exe on a windows PC. https://bip.weizmann.ac.il/course/prog2/tutorial/deployment/webstart/Notepad.jnlp

The file downloads fine and I can open it.

What is the Intel BMC doing that causes Chrome, Edge and IE all to interrupt the download and say "download failed"?

Admins like myself are stuck with legacy hardware that we CANNOT UPDATE (no, really) and we still need remote control. So we need a simple answer on how to download the jnlp file. We're quite capable of storing it locally and calling javaws.exe on the local computer (nothing to do with the browser) to open the jnlp file. We just need an answer on this. Please. For the love of all that is binary!

Thanks

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello JVand64,

Thanks for the feedback.

I think the download issue is more like a question for Google than Intel. Intel was aware about java would eventually get deprecated so that is why the newer systems are running under HTLM5

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos