Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Cluster or Aggregate RS25SB008 RAID Cards?

idata
Employee

I have a server with two RS25SB008 cards installed. My questions are these: Although I see a "Clustering" option in the firmware, I can not find documentation on enabling and using this feature - will it work? Can I combine the resources of these two cards together and, for example, create a RAID-10 set using disks from both cards? Can I use advanced options from one card on the disks of a second card? I look forward to your response...

Thanks,

Doug Coleman

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Doug,

In short, clustering and aggregation are not supported with Intel SAS/SATA controllers.

Clustering and aggregation were supported with our SCSI controllers and up to Windows* 2003 operating system, but clustering and aggregation is no longer supported in the SAS/SATA RAID controller firmware or current Windows* and Linux* operating systems.

I'm not sure about the "Clustering" option in the firmware. Is this in the RAID Web Console 2 application? What ever it is it could be a remnant from earlier days, or of things to come.

Regards,

John
idata
Employee

John,

Thanks for the reply.

FYI - the clustering option appears in both the BIOS application and the web console.

I have purchase two hardware keys - 1 for SSD and 1 for snapshots. Ideally I would like

to have the functionality available from both keys on both cards. Is it possible to purchase

software keys to do this - there is only room for 1 hardware key on each card...

Are the Intel order codes for the software keys (if they exist) available?

Doug Coleman

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Doug, As you noted you can only use one premium feature per card via the plug in PFK connector. Intel RAID controllers do not have available, or support software keys. John

0 Kudos