Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4775 Discussions

Configuring bootable VROC mirror on S2600WFT mainboard with P3520 NVME drives through OCULINK connectors

RLund4
Beginner

Hi. I have an Intel Server System configured as follows:

(1) R2312WFTZS - Intel® Server System R2312WFTZS

(2) CD8067303561500 - Intel® Xeon® Silver 4108 Processor (11M Cache, 1.80 GHz)

(2) AXX1300TCRPS - AXX1300TCRPS - 1300W AC Power Supply

(8) KSM26RS8/8HAI - KINGSTON 8GB 2666MHZ DDR4 ECC REG CL19 DIMM 1RX8 HYNIX A IDT

(1) VROCSTANMOD - Raid On CPU standard Module

(1) AXXCBL600CVCR - 600 mm long, accessory cable kit (1 cable included), straight OCuLink SFF-8611 connector to right angle OCuLink SFF-8611 connector

(1) AXXCBL620CRCR - 620 mm long, spare cable kit (1 cable included), right angle OCuLink SFF-8611 connector to right angle OCuLink SFF-8611 connector

(2) SSDPE2MX450G701 - P3520 (450GB, 2.5IN PCIE 3.0 X4, 3D1)

(1) RMS3AC160- Intel Integrated RAID Module RMS3AC160

(1) AXXRMFBU6 - Intel MFBU6 RAID Super Capacitor Module BACKUP FOR RMS3AC160

(4) SSDSC2BB016T701 - DC S3520 Series 1.6TB 2.5inch SATA 6Gb/s 3D1 MLC Brown Box

When I attempt to configure the VROC RAID in the BIOS there are no options to configure. I am able to configure the RMS3AC160. Everything I have been reading says in order to enable the Raid in the CPU (VROC) I need the VROC Key which I have installed, but there seems to be no way to address the NVME u.2 drives to configure. Where am I suppose to go to configure the RAID so I can boot up on it? I have read the Configuration document(https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27135/eng/RSTe%20VROC%20Users%20Manual_1.0.pdf https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27135/eng/RSTe%20VROC%20Users%20Manual_1.0.pdf) referenced in another thread( ). I configure the Intel VMD and then restart and try to find the "Intel VROC HII interface" in the Bios and cannot find it. I have installed the newest BIOS (S2600WF_EFI_BIOSR0009_ME04.00.04.288.0_BMC1.29.7d703f59_FRUSDR1.29). I have tried in uefi and in legacy boot. Help, all I want is a mirrored nvme boot drive to install Windows Server 2016 on. With a 4 drive RAID 6 SATA disk to hold our data and hyper-v vm's and vhdx's.

Also, I have not been able to get a windows installation to boot up on this system.

Thanks,

Rick Lund-Pedersen

Around The Clock I. T. Solutions Ltd.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RLund4
Beginner

The SATA drives were installed in drive bays 9 8 7 and 6.

The NVME drives were installed in drive bays 10 and 11.

I removed all of my SSD's from the server.

I carefully inserted the NVME drives back into BAYS 10 and 11.

I carefully inserted the SATA drives in BAYS 0 1 2 3.

I restarted and then the VROC management in the BIOS appeared.

Are there bays that are not usable when using NVME drives and VROC?

Is this just a fluke?

What is going on?

Thanks,

Rick Lund-Pedersen

0 Kudos
RLund4
Beginner

I have spent hours trying various different things to get this thing to boot via USB. I have created an image with Windows 7 USB creation tool. I have used RUFUS with a 16GB USB3.0 key and the UEFI MBR option. I am currently using RUFUS to create an 8GB USB2.0 key using UEFI GPT options.

It seems ridiculous that none of the Intel Windows installation documents, that I can find, say what these systems are looking for to boot a UEFI USB stick.

0 Kudos
RLund4
Beginner

OK. RUFUS UEFI GPT partition on an 8GB usb2.0 stick booted into windows server 2016 install. I do not know what the magic thing that fixed it was, but now I may be under way.

What advantage did this hard to boot UEFI system give?

NUC's just boot installation media. Why not a 15K server?

0 Kudos
RLund4
Beginner

OK, I have a server OS installed.

I am not overwhelmed by how fast it is. I do not have all of the drivers installed so the jury is still out.

It seems to take quite a bit longer to start the OS than a NUC with a Samsung 960 NVME drive. Not counting the very lengthy POST. Windows 10 NUC's take 1-2 seconds of the wheel spinning. this is 8-10 seconds.

I will get the drivers installed tomorrow afternoon. Then I will have a better feel for how it is performing.

I am confident it will be zippy, but I was expecting to be blown away.

I do want intel staff to answer my questions. Each earlier question is still valid.

Thanks,

Rick Lund-Pedersen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello RickLP,

Thanks for joining the community.

I am glad to hear that you are getting things done. I think you have been answering the questions by your own which I think is great but probably time consuming.

Let me refer you to the technical product specification document when you will find most of the answers about this board:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600WF_TPS.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600WF_TPS.pdf

and for the RAID controller too:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/raid-products/Intel_Integrated_RAID_Module_RMS3AC160_User_Guide.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/raid-products/Intel_Integrated_RAID_Module_RMS3AC160_User_Guide.pdf

Hope this helps a little. If you have further questions just let me know.

Jose A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello RickLP,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello RickLP,

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions please go ahead and create a new topic.

Jose A.

0 Kudos