Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Constant, high fan RPM (loud)

SCrow1
New Contributor I

I have an R2312WFTZS server.  Fan speed is constantly over 7000 RPM.  I have tried updating firmware to 00.01.0015, and down grading to 14 and 13.  Everything is green in server health.  I have attached the results from sysinfo.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello SCrow1, Thank you for contacting Intel Enterprise Support. I was reviewing the information and the issue that you have been facing and I would like to provide you some steps in order to find the root cause of the issue; please check the links below and follow those steps and details accordingly. As soon as you have been checking the information please provide to me the outcome in order to see if you will need more assistance. System Fan Runs Too Fast or Too Loud for Intel® Server System or Intel® Server Chassis: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005890/server-products/intel-compute-modules.html System Fan Runs Too Fast or Is Noisy: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008037/server-products/server-boards.html Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
SCrow1
New Contributor I

For anybody sick and tired of the generic responses, such as: "check chassis intrusion", when it does not come with a chassis intrusion switch..... etc, etc....

I found that for this product, ​Intel have set the minimum fan speed in the SDR config quite high.  This is expected behaviour.  Unless you manually edit the SDR, this will be the minimum fan speed.

I am not sure how they think that the constant volume of noise produced is acceptable.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for the information provided, Let us investigate more details about this issue that you have been facing and noticing; and as soon as possible we will get back to you with the next step. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for been so patient on this. I would like to provide you some troubleshooting steps in order to find a solution: Clear the CMOS, this will clear all the settings in BIOS and will set it to default, please perform the FW update and then the CMOS clear. Remember that if the onboard RAID is configured, the settings will be set back to defaults, and you will need to reconfigure the RAID settings in BIOS. If the data is not backed up or if it is important, data backup is recommended. You will find the location of the CMOS jumper and procedure of clearing the CMOS in the technical product specification of the Intel® Server Board. Press [F2] while POST to enter BIOS Setup. Choose Set Fan Profile to acoustic by selecting Home screen → Advanced → System Acoustic and Performance Configuration → Set Fan Profile. Press [F2] while POST to enter BIOS Setup. (If it is available) Choose Fan RPM Offset by selecting Home screen → Advanced → System Acoustic and Performance Configuration → Fan RPM Offset to 0. Finally, please performed a Clearing the System Event Log (SEL). Please let us know the outcome. Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
SCrow1
New Contributor I

​Emeth,

As mentioned in my previous post, Intel have set the minimum fan speed quite high.  My apologies, I did not mention that Intel support called me.  According to them, it is something like 7500 RPM in version 15, and 5500 RPM in previous versions.  If that is the case, no amount of following copy paste directions will change what they have put in the SDR included with the firmware.

Stuart

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello Stuart, That's right, this information that you have mentioned on this thread has been affecting some server systems after the .0014 firmware version. As a matter of fact, an upper level department is already aware about this, and they are investigating this in order to provide the most accurate solution ASAP. Please accept my apologize for all the inconveniences that you have been facing. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I would like to know if you have any other question in order to assist you with. If so, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, By any chance, do you still need more assistance on this thread? If you have any other question please let me know. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Since I have noticed that there is no activity on this thread, I will proceed and close it. Please, if you have any other question do not hesitate and contact us back and we will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos