Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Disk off-line on an SSR212MC2R - Problem!

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I'm working on an Intel SSR212MC2R storage system mounting 12 x 2TB WD disks.

Everything seems to work fine but it happens, at least one time a day, that one disk goes off-line. I just put it again on-line and all continues to work fine.

Looking in the logs I've seen that at same moment I've the problem i get this error:

Controller ID: 0 Unexpected sense: PD= Ports 4-7:1:11, CDB = 0x2e 0x00 0xe8 0xe0 0x67 0xcb 0x00 0x00 0x01 0x00 , Sense = 0xf0 0x00 0x03 0xe8 0xe0 0x67 0xcb 0x0a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x11 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 .

Another strange thing is that the problem happens during the night, low work level, and it never happens during the working day.

I made all the upgrades.

Thanks in advance.

Christian

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

If the same disk has gone offline more than three times, I'd make sure it's the same firmware revision as the rest. If it is, I'd get a warranty replacement as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,thanks for you answer. The disks have all the same firmware. The problem is that not always the same one goes off-line. It happens in a random way.. every day!

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

So it's probably not just one bad drive, then? Can you run RAID Web Console or something, to pull more of a log than just the "Unexpected sense" error?

Edit: found the complete list of "unexpected sense" codes at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-029307.htm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Unfortunatly I've no other logs about the problem. Today I also start to have some corrupted files. I don't know what to do? Maybe an incompatibility between the disks and the applicance? They are the Western Digital RE4 2 TB

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

After a lot of tests I'm quite sure that the problem is caused by the Spin down feature of the WD RE4-GP disks.

It seems that, when one disk goes in stand-by, this create some communications problem on the SATA bus.

Now I try to contact WD to check if it's possible todisable this feature. In case someone knows how to do ?

Regard

Christian

0 Kudos