Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Does S1200SPLR board with latest BIOS support Xeon E3-1285v6 CPU or still E3-1280v6 is the maximum?

SAljoshin
New Contributor I

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoseH_Intel
Hello SAljo, Thank you for joining the community. The S1200SPLR is only capable to support Intel® Xeon® E3-12XX v5 and v6 processors. The early released models only supported v5 and after a BIOS update they were enabled to support v6 processors. After v6 processors there is a completely different processors architecture (Coffee Lake) which is not possible to be supported just with a BIOS update. For the complete list of supported devices you can check the following URL: https://ark.intel.com/products/97950/Intel-Server-Board-S1200SPLR Hope this helps Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Jose,

Yes, I understand it!

I am asking about this definite CPU because of incomplete compatibility list in Intel web-page of S1200SPLR

If you check the list of supported CPUs for S1200SPLR, then the last one will be E3-1280v6 CPU.

https://ark.intel.com/products/97950/Intel-Server-Board-S1200SPLR

That is why I am asking about E3-1285v6 CPU

So, does this S1200SPLR support E3-1285v6 CPU?!

Regards,

Sergei

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello SAljo, I apologize. I think I misunderstood your question. You are correct about the ark list is not complete. Last week there was released the very latest BIOS update for this board version: 03.01.0042 which can be downloaded from the following URL: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28535/Intel-Server-Board-S1200SP-BIOS-and-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=97950 . After looking at the release notes it states support for the whole E3-1200v5/E3-1200v6 UP Processor series and there were changes in the microcode, so most likely this 1285 v6 processor is supported. We would like to do this test for you but even when we have a S1200SPL board model in our lab there are no 1285 v6 processors available. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Jose,

Not a problem at all.

The reason I was asking is, that we sold 2 servers with identical configuration and one of the servers after a month of working started to make random restarts.

Another - still working stable.

After investigating and tests we discovered that CPU change solved the problem, but seems like this CPU was just broken. So we did asn AWR for that.

As CPU compatibility was always a tricky thing that might not always appear immediately, I decided to ask you about compatibility.

We updated the BIOS to the latest version also!

We will keep monitoring another server also.

Thank you very much for support!

P.S: It would be nice from Intel side to update compatibility list when additional support appear after BIOS update.

regards,

Sergei.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello SAljo, Understood. About the website update it has been reported. Sometimes the website does not update as fast as we would like to. Besides that this board is end of life already so it might take even longer to reflect the changes. Anyway we will pass on your feedback. In the meantime we will mark this thread as resolved. If you detect any issues on the 2nd server please create a new thread and we will troubleshoot it from there. Glad to have been helpful Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos