Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Enable Hyper-threading

ADumb
Beginner

Hello fellows,

I have one question on Hyper-threading ,Is it possible to enable/disable hyper-threading without using bios settings e.g. using syscfg and without rebooting server ? because i'm working with plenty of servers so it is not possible to enable individual server for HT it needs time and lots of work.

need some suggestions.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello ,

Regarding your question, "if there is a way to enable Hyper-threading without having to reboot the server". I am afraid this is hard to say if you going to need or not a reboot for Hyper-Threading enabled. This because if the motherboard BIOS has the option Disable, then you will need to reboot the to enter the BIOS and enable it. If you get a BIOS update that will enable by default the Hyper-Threading, you still need to reboot for the changes to take effect. And depending on the OS, the Hyper-Threading enable settings, and you still will need to reboot for the Registry or Kernel to take full functionality on the changes.

Then I am afraid to say that yes you will need to reboot.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos