Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Fan tachometer reading of 0 RPM although fans are spinning, results in critical alert

DBroo1
Beginner

Hello,

I have a problem with the server mainboard S1200SPL.

Quick information about the setup:

• board resides in a non Intel chassis
  • 2 chassis fans (PWM)
  • 1 cpu fan (PWM)
  • BIOS, FRU and SDR are up-to-date
  • SDR was configured with other chassis option, fan 3 and 4 installed, also CPU fan installed option
  • Fans are set to acoustic mode in BIOS

Problem description:

• all fans are marked as critical in the web frontend (red)
  • diagnostic lights blinking amber
  • fan speed reading of all three fans is 0 RPM
  • but all three fans are actually spinning at a low level

What I did so far:

• changed values in SDR file and uploaded them to mainboard
  • "SDR Type C0/0A Records For Fan Sensor Scaling", section "OTHER"
    • values for fan 3 and 4 changed from 25000 RPM (hex: A861) to 1000 RPM (hex: E803) and 1500 RPM (hex: DC05), that are the new max values
    • value for processor fan changed from 25000 RPM (hex: A861) to 1900 RPM (hex: 6C07), that is the new max value
  • "Fan tachometer sensors", "OTHER" sections
    • "OTHER_FAN_3"
      • M=04h
      • Nominal Reading=80h (500 RPM)
      • Normal Minimum=7Ch (490 RPM)
      • Lower critical = 00h
      • Lower non-critical = 02h
    • "OTHER_FAN_4"
      • M=06h
      • Nominal Reading=7Fh (750 RPM)
      • Normal Minimum=66h (600 RPM)
      • Lower critical = 00h (0 RPM)
      • Lower non-critical = 11h (12 RPM)
    • "OTHER_PROC_FAN"
      • M=07h
      • Nominal Reading=49h (550 RPM)
      • Normal Minimum=43h (500 RPM)
      • Lower critical = 2Fh (350 RPM)
      • Lower non-critical = 35h (400 RPM)

The values of fan 4 were set to nearly 0 to test if the critical alert will go away, but it didn't. Sometimes fan 4 reports a valid RPM value of 400 RPM and status gets to normal. The fans are spinning in a slow mode so that the whole system is very quiet :-).

Questions:

• are the fan readings influenced by some other values directly or indirectly in the SDR file, for example "Domain/Profile Dependent RECORDS" or the curves?
  • can the fan readings be fixed somehow?

A bit history: the chassis that I bought came with 3 3-pin-only-fans, that spinned up to 100%. The cpu fan was always a 4-pin fan. Before I changed the numbers in the SDR file the 3 chassis fans got a valid rpm read, but the cpu fan did not. After setting the values in the SDR file, the cpu got also a valid RPM value, but the chassis fans were spinning at 100%. I decided to exchange two of the chassis fan through 4-pin fans. The third chassis fan is disabled now. After placing the new fans in, all rpm values were set to 0 RPM and the status became critical although all fans are actually spinning. and the max rpm values are the same as before After that I lowered the critical values for the chassis fans but without any success.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Could you please provide make and model of the chassis you are using for further investigation. Typically, the FRUSDR update should program the fans properly when selecting other chassis. You could also run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25563/S1200SP-System-Information-Retrieval-Utility?product=88263 System Information Retrieval Utility to gather more information on the sensor readings.

Additionally, if more in-depth support is needed for your particular configuration please contact one of our Intel Support Offices.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

0 Kudos
DBroo1
Beginner

Hello,

thanks for your reply. I attached the log file.

The configuration is the following:

• chassis: beQuiet Silient Base 800
  • cpu fan: beQuiet Pure Wings 2 (max. 2000 RPM, 92mm, 4-pin, PWM)
  • fan 3: beQuiet Silent Wings 2 (max. 1000 RPM, 140mm, 4-pin, PWM)
  • fan 4: beQuiet Shadow Wings (max. 1500 RPM, 120mm, 4-pin, PWM)

I enabled fan 2 (beQuiet Pure Wing, max. 1000 RPM, 120mm, 3-pin, non-PWM) again and this fan is green, also the fan reading is correct, but all other fans still have a reading of 0 rpm.

I also wrote the original SDR file to the mainboard, without any success, fans are still red and no fan reading.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We checked the logs and indeed there are no readings. Let's try by fully power cycling the system unplugging the power cables and then hold down the power button for 10 seconds, this will drain out the energy and reset the BMC (Baseboard Management Controller). Also if you can test the board outside the chassis would be great just to discard any grounding issues.

If the issue persists please contact our support line for further assistance:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Were you able to resolve the situation with the steps recommended by the previous representative?
0 Kudos
SBurr
Beginner

Hi,

I seem to have a similar problem. I have an S1200SPLR with two Scythe Kaze Flex 120 PWM (300-800rpm) connected to Processor Fan and System Fan 4. The case is a simple Sharkoon T9 Value. The fans spin up fine, but I am unable to get any reading.

I applied the latest firmware updates and power cycled the system. Has there been any progress on the issue? Can I do something to help debug?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Since you already have the latest firmware update, I am wondering if you ran the FRU/SDR update to program the fan configuration? If so, you might need capture the logs of the system.

Also, I checked our records and I could not find feedback from other customers with this chassis.

0 Kudos
SBurr
Beginner

Thanks for answering. I applied FRU/SDR updates as well. The chassis is a consumer chassis and should be of no concern, since it does not have any sensors.

After playing around more with the SDR and changing fan curves, it looks like the mainboard is unable to read rpm values below 500.

(I changed curves and limits to ramp up from 50% PWM resulting in fan speeds between 500 and 900 rpm and errors were gone. The fans would go down to 300 rpm however.)

Is there a minimum fan rpm?

If yes, how much is it? If it is not a hardware limitation, can the minimum be lowered (to, say, 100 rpm) in a future firmware?

If no, any ideas on what might wrong? (Probably in the SDRs.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Dave,

For what we have checked the RPM is about 300, but we will double check on it. Also for future release we will pass on the information and hope that it will be taken into consideration.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dave,

I hope you are doing well today.

I'm following up with you to see if the information provided helped or you need more assistance from our behalf.

Please feel free to contact us if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dave,

I'm following up with you to see if the information provided helped or you need more assistance from our behalf.

Please feel free to contact us if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dave,

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support
0 Kudos