Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Fans on SR2625URLXR speeds up to full speed for 3 seconds then slows down

JWolf1
Beginner

Hello everyone,

We have a server that normally the fans run at normal speed, however recently the machine has been speeding the fans up to full speed in 3 second bursts then slows them back down. This just started and the computer is close to 3 years old. I brought up the Intel Active System Console and it doesn't show any problems. Does anyone know what might be causing the fans to speed up? I am going to clean the inside of the computer this weekend but looking inside it doesn't look like it is very dirty, and I would expect that to speed up slightly, but not go up to full speed like it is doing. If there is a heat sensor or speed sensor on a fan intermittent, would that cause this behavior?

Thanks for any suggestions,

John Wolf

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Can you look at the System Event Log (SEL) and see if it is reporting any voltage, power, or temperature issue?

0 Kudos
JWolf1
Beginner

Hello Dan,

Is there any way to look at that without bringing down the server? It doesn't appear the sel viewer can be installed on a running Windows Server 2008 system.

I have looked in the Active System Console, and it is not showing anything in there. I have set it up to send me emails when it logs anything and I have not received any emails either.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos