Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Feature Request: ESXi support for Intel UHD Graphics 630

FiZi
Beginner

I've contacted Dell (I have a Dell T340) who told me contact VMware (I'm running ESXi 6.7u2) who told me to contact Intel to get support for the "Intel UHD Graphics 630" GPU on my E-2176G added to ESXi so I can enable passthru on the GPU allowing me to add it to VMs to improve video trans-coding performance.

Beyond posting here..... is there somewhere else I should send this feature request?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Eric,

Thank you for replying back.

It would be best for your to check with Dell on whether they can make the graphics drivers available and if the VMware ESXi SW is supported. Because some Intel drivers are made available to OEMs only, exclusively in some cases so they are not available to public.

On the other hand, thank you for the feedback we will take in consideration those details.

Regards,

Emeth O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Eric,

Thank you for contacting us about this concern.

I would like to inform you that the Intel® UHD Graphics 630 on this processor is not comparable with the process you would you like to achieve. 

Please check the Supported Graphics Cards in order to enable on a VMware Virtual Machine for GPU Pass-through on the following link: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsga

According to the link provided, I would like to let you know that the only Intel Graphics comparable with this implementation that you would like to perform are the following:

1. Intel HD Graphics P4700.
  2. Intel Iris Pro Graphics P6300.
  3. Intel Iris Pro Graphics P580.

As an additional information, once you will have a comparable Graphics cardinstalled on your system please check below the configurations steps in order to proceed with the GPU Pass-through configuration;

Enable the Host for GPU Passthrough:

1. Check VT-d or AMD IOMMU Is enabled on the host by running the following command, either via SSH or on the console. (Note: replace <module_name> with the name of the module: vtddmar for Intel, AMDiommu for AMD). # esxcfg-module –l | grep <module_name> If the appropriate module is not present, you might have to enable it in the BIOS, or your hardware might not be capable of providing PCI passthrough.
  2. Using the vSphere Client, connect to VMware vCenter™ and select the host with the GPU card installed.
  3. Select the Configuration tab for the host, and click Advanced Settings (Hardware in the top left section). If the host has devices enabled for passthrough, these devices will be listed here.
  4. To configure passthrough for the GPU, click Configure Passthrough.
  5. In the Mark Devices for Passthrough window, check the box that corresponds to the GPU adapter installed in the host.
  6. Click OK. The GPU should now be listed now in the Window on the Advanced settings page.
  7. Note: If the device has an orange arrow displayed on the icon, the host needs to be rebooted before passthrough will function. If the device icon is green, passthrough is enabled.

Enable the Virtual Machine for GPU Passthrough:

1. Update the VM to Hardware Version 9
  2. For vDGA to function, all the virtual machine configured memory must be reserved. If each virtual machine has 2GB of memory allocated, you should reserve all 2GB. To do this, select the Reserve all guest memory option when you view the Memory option under the Resources tab in a virtual machine’s settings window.
  3. For virtual machines that have more than 2GB of configured memory, add the following parameter to the .vmx file of the virtual machine (you can add this at the end of the file): pciHole.start = "2048"
  4. Using the vSphere Client, connect directly to the ESXi host with the GPU card installed, or select the host in vCenter.
  5. Right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings
  6. Add a new device by selecting PCI Device from the list, and click Next.
  7. Select the GPU as the passthrough device to connect to the virtual machine from the drop-down list, and click Next.
  8. Click Finish
  9. Download and install the drivers according to the Virtual Machine's OS.
  10. Reboot the virtual machine.

If you have any other question please do not hestiate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
FiZi
Beginner

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I am aware the GPU on my CPU is not supported at this time.

My question is "How do I suggest to Intel they consider adding support for my GPU beyond posting here".

If they've supported older GPUs there must be a way to suggest supporting newer GPUs.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Eric,

Thank you for replying back.

It would be best for your to check with Dell on whether they can make the graphics drivers available and if the VMware ESXi SW is supported. Because some Intel drivers are made available to OEMs only, exclusively in some cases so they are not available to public.

On the other hand, thank you for the feedback we will take in consideration those details.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
FiZi
Beginner

Fair enough. I have re-opened my ticket to Dell to see if I can get any traction.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Eric,

Ok, if you need something else or have any other question.

Please do not hesitate and contact us back and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos