Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

Finding an M.2 SSD for the S2600CW2 board. Confused on Edge Connector. I know it can not be NVMe. But the ones listed as SATA don't follow the Edge Connector Keying as I understand it.

MShum5
Beginner

So I want to add a M.2 SSD drive to my S2600CW2.

I understand it has to be a M.2 SATA and not NVMe or anything else.

The only thing is the Edge connectors keying on the board it looks to be a B Keyed Connector.

When looking online the SATA's I am finding look to Be B & M Key Edge Connectors. Is this fine I think it is but just trying to be sure.

The following on Newegg would fit right?

https://www.newegg.com/sandisk-x300-128gb/p/0D9-0006-00071

Second I know the screw and riser means the card size is 2280 right? But I noticed the H screw standoff is at the 40-42mm point from the connector but offset from the riser screw. Can this be used for a 2242 size card? This is only for curiosities sake.

Thank You

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, it should be fine. In either Type B or Type M sockets, a SATA drive can gain access to the SATA lane exposed. While it doesn't matter in this case, but trying to give a complete answer, a Type B socket can make two PCIe lanes available for use by an NVMe drive whereas a Type M socket makes four PCIe lanes available. I said 'can make' in the Type B case because it is typical for older boards that offer a connector only to support SATA drives will do so using a Type B connector.

Drives can come in 42, 60 and 80 mm lengths, depending upon the amount of board space required to implement the necessary amount of storage. You should have a riser installed at *only* the length of card you are going to use. Risers at any intermediate point could cause a short on the card. If you cannot remove these intermediate risers, place a piece of non-conducting (black electricians) tape on them so that no short can occur.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson

Yes, it should be fine. In either Type B or Type M sockets, a SATA drive can gain access to the SATA lane exposed. While it doesn't matter in this case, but trying to give a complete answer, a Type B socket can make two PCIe lanes available for use by an NVMe drive whereas a Type M socket makes four PCIe lanes available. I said 'can make' in the Type B case because it is typical for older boards that offer a connector only to support SATA drives will do so using a Type B connector.

Drives can come in 42, 60 and 80 mm lengths, depending upon the amount of board space required to implement the necessary amount of storage. You should have a riser installed at *only* the length of card you are going to use. Risers at any intermediate point could cause a short on the card. If you cannot remove these intermediate risers, place a piece of non-conducting (black electricians) tape on them so that no short can occur.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

MShum5
Beginner

Thank You.

I thought I was on right track Just starting to do some spinner replacements with SSDs and understanding the board mounted SSDs is a little bit to grasp compared to the Drive formfactor SSDD with the normal SATA connections.

n_scott_pearson

It is important to understand that there is no performance advantage to using a board-mounted M.2 SATA SSD versus a 2.5" SSD connected via SATA cable. The limitation on performance is almost exclusively based upon the maximum SATA (6 Gb/s) throughput. Once you get to a motherboard that offers support for (Type M) M.2 NVMe SSDs, this changes drastically. Whereas SATA typically limits you to something like R/W 550/520 MB/s, M.2 NVMe SSDs with performance at the R/W 3500/3200 MB/s level are already available - and speeds will be increasing again once the PCIe 4.0 rollout is complete.

...S

Emeth_O_Intel

Hi MShum5,

Thank you for contacting Intel Community.

I would like to know if the information provided by @Scott helps you to have a better understanding of the information. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

MShum5
Beginner

Perfect!