Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Firmware update on MFSYS25 compute modules hangs

idata
Employee

Hi,

We recently did a firmware update on one of our blade servers... this required an update to 2.7 and then 6.10. During both updates, when the management module had flashed itself and had come back up, the web interface was indicating that the boot firmware on the compute modules was updating. They remained in the updating state indefinitely (I waited a couple hours the first time) until I finally pulled and re-seated each blade (the one thing it tells you not to do, but I couldn't do much else), which caused it to come back up, flash the boot firmware properly, and allow the BIOS firmware to be updated.

The first time, I assumed this may be some incorrect BIOS setting or something, so I reset all the BIOS settings after the first firmware update (as is suggested by the upgrade procedure anyways), however, it happened after the second update also.

Is there some fix for this problem or does this indicate a particular hardware fault of some kind?

Thanks for any suggestions...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

I have seen that happen before as well, when doing a big jump like 2.x to 6.x. In order to update, the compute module has to try to boot from EFI first before booting from the onboard storage, and in some older builds that wasn't the default boot order.

This does not sound like a hardware fault.

0 Kudos