Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Firmware update to SAS drives connected to RS2BL040

diablo_692
New Contributor I

How do I update SAS drive firmware when the drives are attached to a RS2BL040? I don't see this capability in RWC2 or the RAID BIOS. I have 4 Seagate drives, but one is down 1 firmware revision level, so I want to update it. SeaTools for Windows won't see the drives through the RAID controller, so I'm kind of stuck. Any help please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
diablo_692
New Contributor I

Never mind. While waiting for a response from someone, I found out that I could update the drive's f/w by using the StoreCLI tool to download the latest f/w image obtained from Seagate's support site to the drive. FYI, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, so this was the command line I used:

storcli64 /cx/ex/sx download src=c:\temp\file name

The "x's" will be replaced by your specific controller number, enclosure number, and drive number. The f/w file you intend to download to the drive needs to be in the directory you specify - in my case c:\temp

0 Kudos
diablo_692
New Contributor I

I need to upgrade f/w again on the Seagate drives mentioned earlier in this thread. The difference now is that these 4 drives are in an active RAID 5 array, (i.e. 3 drives comprise the Virtual disk with one as the dedicated hot spare), whereas before they were simply unconfigured good drives and not part of a Virtual disk. I'm assuming I will do this the same way as before by using storcli64 to upgrade the f/w on all 4 drives, but what should I do within RWC2 to prepare the array (since it's now active) for this f/w update? Obviously I will backup the Virtual drive before attempting the f/w upgrade, but from within RWC2 do I put the array in some type of maintenance mode before running storcli64? I don't want to mess up the RAID 5 array.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
diablo_692
New Contributor I

Intel guys & gals, any help on this please? I tried the command below (filled in of course with the relevant info) first on the dedicated hot spare, but it failed to upload the new f/w to the drive. According to the log it started and then failed with warning id 302. I looked in the latest Software User's Guide at the storcli command and noticed an option called "satabridge". What exactly does it do? Do I need to add satabridge to the end of the storcli command to perform this f/w upgrade while the RAID array is online, even though this is an array of SAS drives?

storcli64 /cx/ex/sx download src=c:\temp\file name

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Hey David -

The RS2BL040 was built on CmdTool2 originally; that tool may work where StorCLI fails. You can update drive firmware online; RAID Web Console 2 can also update the firmware from within the OS.

try the most recent version of CmdTool from 2014, included in the firmware https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23601/6GB-SAS-Hardware-RAID-Firmware-Flash-Update-for-DOS-Windows-Linux-and-UEFI?product=42875 Download 6GB SAS Hardware RAID Firmware Flash Update for DOS, Windows*, Linux* and UEFI

- Daniel

0 Kudos