Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Further notes with regards to the INTEL NAS SS4000E FIRMWARE SETTINGS: ...

Jde_K2
Beginner

During a recent struggle to regain access to my NAS, I learnt the following most important configuration nowhere documented by Intel, which I would like to share with other users: The concepts of updating the firmware to the latest version, re-configuring hard drives, and even resetting the NAS to its factory settings, are well documented. Despite these, firmware setting errors remained. Note the difference between the "(Intel) firmware" and the "(user) firmware settings". I discovered the importance of also resetting the "(user) firmware settings". The implies that, once you reset the NAS, none of the earlier settings would return, implying that you need to reconfigure all setup options. If, while re-configuring your NAS, any of your earlier settings return (despite updating the firmware to the latest version, re-configuring the hard drives and resetting the NAS to its factory settings), it implies that any potential setup errors would also return. The problem lies in the technical error that the "(user) firmware settings" are written to all hard drives and that none of the above (updating the firmware to the latest version, re-configuring the hard drives and resetting the NAS to its factory settings) will delete such. I had to physically remove all (four) hard drives from the NAS and format/partition/crash each hard drive on a separate computer to also delete the "(user) firmware settings" from all hard drives. Only then the NAS was back to its factory settings, and, combined with the earlier-mentioned procedures (updating the firmware to the latest version, re-configuring the hard drives and resetting the NAS to its factory settings), available to be re-configured. The above procedures obviously implies that backups were readily available of the data on the NAS.

Our my case, the NAS somehow* lost control over who its users were. Even though the user rights were listed, the NAS somehow* did not "broadcast" its shared folders tot its users. Not even the so-called public folders were any longer available. *This problem was probably a combination of three simultaneous errors to the NAS: (1) The connected UPS malfunctioned during a power outage; (2) one shared folder was 100% full generating read/write errors; and (3) hard drive 3 crashed in a RAID10 environment.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Carlos_V_Intel1
Employee
Hello Jde K2, Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. Intel Customer Service no longer responds to telephone, chat, or e-mail inquiries for this Intel® NAS SS4000E but you may want to try our Discontinued Products Community (select the discontinued topic for your thread) to get recommendations from fellow community members. You may also find the Discontinued Products Website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) helpful to address your request. Hope this helps. Regards, Charlie V. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos