Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

GPT secured partition appeared after RAID5->RAID6 migration

SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello!

We have 7 identical servers with RAID5 configured. There were JBODs connected and RAID5 was successfully migrated to RAID6. But after restart all servers showed in Disk manager all drives in offline status with GPT secured partition and the sire of old RAID5 and RAID6 volume in the end. All works, but after every restart we can find in Event Logs that Windows Server try to identify each drive but can understand that it is a part of RAID and ignores.

All 7 servers behave the same after restart. I also attached screenshots of Disk Manager and RAID web Console. Also a part of Event Logs.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee

Hello Sergei,

In order to get more clarity of the issue, could you please share with us the model number of the server system, mother board, and RAID card that you are using?

Regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Franklin!

Here you go:

S1200SPLR

E3-1245V6

RMS3CC040 (has 2xRAID1 connected, one RAID1 contains OS)

+

RSP3MD088F(has 8x6TB connected directly+24x6TB in external JBOD box and all are in RAID6 now)

Sergei

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hello,

Thank you for replying back.

To resolve the "protective" issue on a GPT partition so as to make it usable again, have you tried following the next two workarounds:

Option 1. Diskpart command-line utility

Option 2. Third-party GPT to MBR conversion software

As additional information: I found the following article from Microsoft about the EventID: 158; https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2983588/event-id-158-is-logged-for-identical-disk-guids.

Please let me know in order to verify the information and proceed with the next step.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Emeth,

Seems like there is some kind of misunderstanding.

I will try to explain in additional.

1. In the beginning there were: RAID1(2xSSD for OS), another RAID1(2xSSD) and RAID5 (8 HDD). Everything worked fine and one volume was displayed per array. As it should be.
  2. We connected JBOD to RAID controller with additional 24HDDs and put RIAD5 to migrate to RAID6. Everything was fine and displayed correctly. After migration proccess all was fine and status was OK.
  3. We did a restart to server and discovered such picture as shown at the picture. For some reason there are 32 "volumes" with RAID5 size and secured partition, which are all OFFLINE and one RAID6 correct size Dick and ONLINE.

These are surveillance servers and I am very short in operations there. Moreover as you can see these "disks" are offline and I don't really understand what will be the result if I put one of them online? with it crash the RAID?

Sergei

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi,

Let me double-check this information.

I will do some research about this issue you have been facing after the RAID migration in order to provide you the most accurate answer.

Please provide me time and as soon as possible I will get back to you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi,

I would like to gather the TTY Logs from your RAID Configuration in order to verify the information and figure out the root cause of the issue, please check the following link in order to gather the TTY Logs:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007072/server-products.html

As soon as you have the information, let me know the outcome and I will proceed with the next step.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi,

I am following up on your thread to verify if you still need assistance on this issue.

Please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Emeth,

I sent the request to end customer fr TTY Logs - will take time.

I will sent them as I get them.

Sergei

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hello,

Thank you for letting me know.

I will be waiting for your outcome in order to review the logs and figure out the root cause of this issue.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hello,

I am following up on your case in order to verify if you have any other questions or if you still need help with this issue. If so, please let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Emeth,

I am very sorry for delay, but please find TTY logs from all servers attached..

Regards,

Sergei

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for replying back with the information.

Let us check the logs and as soon as possible we will get back to you with the next step.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for your patience and the time you have been waiting for my response.

I would like to remark on the importance of having an up to date backup as there is a chance of data loss based on the issue.

By any chance, do you have the possibility to install the RWC3 on your system? This is the software used for RAID management and monitoring for Intel RAID controllers.

Intel® RAID Web Console 3 for Windows*

Intel RAID Web Console 3 User Guide

Could you please so kind and provide us a copy of the complete RAID log? In order to gather this information please follow the next article:

How to Extract the Full RAID Log for Intel® RAID Controllers

Also, It would be good to understand what kind of JBOD product (brand and model) is connected to the external port on the RSP3MD088F RAID controller.

I will be waiting for your outcome in order to proceed with the next step.

Regards,

Emeth O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

A Contingent Worker at Intel.

0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

hello,

we are using this JBOD

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847E1C-R1K28JBOD

we already using rwc3 there.

i already sent you tty logs from all servers. that should be full log

Sergei

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hello,

Thank you for the information provided.

I will review the information and as soon as possible, I will get back to you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

A Contingent Worker at Intel.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hello Sergei,

So, as far as our management software goes (RWC3) all volumes are in an optimal state.

Since the issues are showing within Disk Management (offline partitions), I would recommend to open up a ticket with Microsoft support as well.

If the migration process took place without errors then at a logical volume level all should be fine. Partition wise that would need to be checked with the OS manufacturer.

Have a wonderful day.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hello Sergei,

I am following up on your case in order to verify if you still need help with this.

Please if you have any other question, do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Emeth,

If you suggest it is a OS issue, I will discuss it with Microsoft, but I believe there will be no help as usual. Standard answer from Microsoft is "Make a backup, create a clean OS installation and install all updates."

Anyway thank you very much for help and investigation.

Sergei

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi,

No problem, you are very welcome. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate and contact us back and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos