Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4775 Discussions

H2312JFJR not booting to BIOS

DRatc
Beginner

I purchased a H2312JFJR Four Node server and today tried to get it working but cant get it booting to the BIOS and cant even get a display of any kind. I am not really used to Intel servers or multi node servers, but am well versed in Dell and HP, so maybe doing something completely wrong.

Basically I have put in the CPU's, RAM, one HDD, plugged in the VGA cable and keyboard into the Node and that's it. However when I power on the server the fans whirl and it sounds like it is on but nothing is displayed. After about 10 seconds there are a series of beeps, maybe 10 or so in total. I have looked at the beep error codes but really cant work out what the beeps I am getting signify. At the front the warning indicator flashes yellow. The server continues to make all the right noises and the fan will whirl until I then pull out the power lead. I am trying this in Node 3 (I mistakenly thought this was Node 1 originally but didn't think it should matter).

I am trying this with dual E5-2660v2 CPU's. I have tried a few different sorts of RAM but with no success. I have tried one CPU with no success. Are Intel servers picky about RAM? Do all dims need to be populated (tried all dims populated but just wondered for when trying to eliminate things) What else could I be doing wrong?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Damien,

Thank you for your question related Intel products. You mentioned that you purchased this node server, Intel® Server System H2312JFJR, with an Intel® Server Board S2600JF. And you are having problems booting up the server, not even getting image. According you our information this servers are out of warranty and has limited support (http://ark.intel.com/products/56309/Intel-Server-System-H2312JFJR Server System H2312JFJR). Also, you are mentioning that you only have the CPU, Memory and HDD installed. Could you please provide me with the information on the Memory and the amount been use and HDD and how is installed to the system. You could also try to boot the system without the memory to see if you are able to hear any type of beeps. Also, here is the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g31608015_s2600jf_tps_r2_41.pdf Technical Support manual for this system board. In case you are not able to hear any beeps after removing the memory, you can also do a CMOS/BIOS reset (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g31608015_s2600jf_tps_r2_41.pdf Technical Support), on page 128 on how to follow the reset and also the location of the jumper on page 124. Also, you can check the system board for any type of light activity. And you with the memory removed, you should be able to hear the number of beeps.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
DRatc
Beginner

Hi Henry

Thanks for the reply. Yes I realise that these servers are end of life but it is for a project that I am working on at home. The server was bought from a reputable reseller and I have no doubts that its is working okay. The only things I need to add are CPU's, RAM and HDD's.

If I remove all of the RAM and boot the system status light is a solid amber warning. The other Nodes that aren't populated are solid red. There are indeed plenty of beeps but its impossible for me to derive anything from this as the noise of the fans makes it difficult.

I have tried to boot with and without a HDD (Surely a HDD isn't needed to get to the BIOS anyway). The HDD is just a 73GB Fujitsu.

I strongly suspect its the RAM but in the UK its hard to find a proper list of compatible RAM. I have looked at this http://www.cmtlabs.com/2012/memCertPartSearchResultsAll.asp?bNav=True&sManuf=Intel&outside=False&sMN=S2600JF&oSubmit=Search http://www.cmtlabs.com/2012/memCertPartSearchResultsAll.asp?bNav=True&sManuf=Intel&outside=False&sMN=S2600JF&oSubmit=Search but its seems strongly weighted to the US and doesn't contain the manufacturers that I really recognise, Samsung, Micron, Crucial etc. The RAM that I have tried so far is:

2GB Samsung M391B5773DH0-CK0

8GB Micron MT18JSF1G&2PZ-1G9E1HE

This is all RAM that has worked fine in various Servers and Workstations. Are Intel servers fussier about RAM?

WIth RAM inserted the system status light flashes amber.

Can the H2312JFJR be started up without the other 3 nodes and without the 2nd power supply (to reduce noise when troubleshooting)?

Do all dim slots need to be populated? (I have tried both all populated and some but again would be handy to know for troubleshooting)?

I just don't want to be ordering a load of RAM if there is something else wrong.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Damien,

Thank you for the information provided. It could be related to memory, because the information you pass on, I see the 2GB Samsung is a match for the memory requirements, but the 8GB Micro, I wasn't able to find the model you provided.I will recommend testing the node with just one 2GB memory dimm. I will recommend checking the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g31608015_s2600jf_tps_r2_41.pdf Technical Support manual, on pages 3, 8 and 18 for memory requirements and installation.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
DRatc
Beginner

Thanks Henry for the reply.

I am finally getting somewhere now! I tried the memory again but swapped the CPU's to E5-2680v1 CPU's and I can now boot. According to the specs the H2312JFJR should support v2 CPU's and therefore my E5-2660v2 CPU's. I am now wondering if BIOS updates are necessary to support v2 CPU's?

0 Kudos
DRatc
Beginner

My thinking was right. I updated to the latest BIOS and installed the E5-2660v2 CPU's and the machine is now booting correctly. Its a bit of a pain as it means I need to configure and update the BIOS with v1 CPU's then install the v2 ones on each node but at least its sorted.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Damien,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

We are glad to hear that you we able to resolve your problem.

We are going to proceed and close your case; however, in case you need more assistance please contact us back.

Regards.

0 Kudos