Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

HNS7200AP Stuck at post code 0x19: SB PEIM

idata
Employee

Hi,

I've been trying to get a KNL on the HNS7200AP compute module to post, but it seems to be stuck at post code 0x19: SB PEIM, and occasionally resets itself and ges stuck again. Are there any suggestions on how to debug this issue?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Brian,

In order to better understand your problem, help us by providing more additional information:

How much memory do you have on your system?

What devices do you have connected to the HNS7200AP?

Is this the first time that you are getting this POST code?

Did you recently add a new device to your system?

What operating system are you currently running?

What is the current BIOS version that you have?

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sergio,

There is no operating system installed yet. This is my first boot up of the module.

There are two dimms installed on dimm slots A/B (16gb ea). No device has been added to the system.

The BIOS ID is "S72C610.86B.01.02.0001.112820162103"

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brian,

We appreciate your reply.

As troubleshooting suggestion, please perform a BIOS update on your system to version R01.03.0018. Please click https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27644/Intel-Server-Board-S7200AP-Product-Family-Firmware-Update-Package-for-UEFI- here for more information.

Additionally, boot your system with the minimal configuration, just one memory module and no hard drives connected.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sergio

I am unable to update the BIOS. I've set the jumper to BIOS recovery and copied the contents from the link you sent to a flash drive (usb2, fat32) but the usb does not seem to be read. The event logs show that the module has started the BIOS recovery process and the post code is shown as 0xF1. However after a while the hardware resets itself.

I've detached all devices and booted with one memory dimm. Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you,

Brian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brian,

If the system booted with one memory, that means that one for the memory that one of the memory modules might be defective or the memory slot.

Have you tried swapping the memory modules or to test the memory modules on different memory slots? You can also try different memory on your system.

During the BIOS update did you have both memory modules connected to your system, if you did, please try to update the BIOS with only one memory module:

Update procedure

1. Unzip the contents of the update package and copy all files to the root directory on a USB flash drive.
  2. Insert the USB flash drive to any available USB port on the Intel® Server System to be updated.
  3. Power on the server.
  4. The system will automatically access the uEFI shell and begin the update process.

Option 2

1. If the files were copied to a folder other than the root, boot the Server to the uEFI shell. This can be accessed through the BIOS setup utility during POST or via the Boot Menu accessed during POST.
  2. Run the map -r command in the uEFI shell to mount the USB flash drive.
  3. Run the fs0: command to change folders to the USB flash drive. The USB flash drive may also mount to fs1: depending on other installed devices. The number of fs# is dependent on the result of the map -r command.
  4. Change folders to the folder holding the update package files and manually start the Startup.nsh script file to start loading all updates.
  5. Reboot the system after the update process has successfully completed.
Please take in consideration that for both update procedures you can leave the jumper on normal mode.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sergio,

I really appreciate the suggestions. I have confirmed that the memory modules are working on another system. The BIOS update was done with one memory module; I've tried each dimm slot separately and using no modules as well. As suggested I've also set the jumper to the default position. For all these cases the system does not complete post and gets stuck at "0x19: SB PEIM".

The usb does not seem to be accessed (there is a led on the flash drive which lights up on any activity) and the video does not seem to be initialized before it gets stuck so I am unable to use the video debug cable.

Could this possibly be a CPU issue? Or a motherboard issue (I've attached an image of some on board chips which seemed discolored - not sure if this is related)?

Thank you for the help provided so far!

-Brian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brian,

Upon checking your previous posts, we were wondering if you were able to boot your system with just memory module.

Additionally, you can try to test different memory on your system and test your system with no memory, you should get 3 beeps indicating that the server board is detecting the processor. If you do not get the 3 beeps the problem can be related either with the processor or the server board.

Regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brian,

We are following up your question and would like to know if you still need more assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brian,

I am following up on your problem, and we would like to know if you need more assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sergio,

Sorry for the delayed response, I was traveling the past week. It looks like this is a hardware issue since I'm not hearing the 3 beeps that you mentioned in an earlier post. This probably explains why the system was not completing post.

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brian,

What we recommend you will be to test all the components, including the processor, on a different system and if you are able to boot without any codes this means that the problem is related with the compute module and we need to perform a warranty replacement.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brian,

I am following up on your problem, and we would like to know if you need more assistance.

Best regards, Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brian Shi,

I am following up your issue with the Intel® Compute Module HNS7200AP and we would like know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sergio,

It doesn't look like further assistance will be needed. I don't have access to the system at the moment.

Thanks for the help,

Brian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brian Shi,

You are welcome, please feel free to contact us back in case you need more assistance.

Best Regards.

Sergio S.
0 Kudos