Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

Hard Drive high temperatures

idata
Community Manager

I am installing 5 seagate enterprise 15k rpm 600GB hard drives in an Intel Chassis SC5600BRP with a 6 drive hot swap expander cage. The drives are configured as one RAID 5 array. The drives get extermely hot (up to 80 degrees centigrade, read from Intel RAID WWeb console). As a result I have had 3 hard drive failures in last 10 days. I heard from someone that having 5 drives in RAID 5 creates too much activity between the hard drives and that is why they get so hot. If any one has any comment or suggestions, I appreciate it very much

Ahmad

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Well, we have similar trouble not long ago with Seagate 15K drives, our supplier finally tell us about bad drives and we RMA`em - new drives work fine, within 60C temperature. Anyway, check that cage fans rotation after power-up - sometimes it just forgotten power cable to plug.