Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4751 Discussions

Hardware alerts by e-mail

idata
Employee

Hi,

We have installed VMware Vsphere 4.0 update 1 in a SR2600URLXR (S5520UR with RMM3).

Forgetting the Intel Active System Console, we would like to receive any hardware alert (PS failure, ...) by e-mail. Is it possible? How?

Many thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

There isn't any other Intel-produced tool besides ASC. I'd think that VMware should have some tools, though.

idata
Employee

I think that is possible via BMC and the e-mail can be configured with the Intel Deployment CD but I don't find documentation about that.

0 Kudos
KAMALANATH_N_Intel

Yes, you can use IDA[Intel Deployment Assistant] tool to configure the Email alert.

Steps:

boot the CD -> go to "configure server" -> server management -> Select channel # 1 [for BMC] then configure the email alert settings..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

When any hw fails I receive a message with the subject "Error from " without any body. Is it possible to get anything more specific?

For example saying if a power supply has failed.

0 Kudos
KAMALANATH_N_Intel

Yes.. to configure the subject you need to use "set SMTP configuration".

The easiest way is to use " IASC" [Intel active system console] to configure that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

With syscfg /eac?

More than configuring the subject, I was referring how to get more specific information about the hw fault (like power supply, fan, ...) instead a generic "Error from server".

Can we use IASC in our environment?

0 Kudos
KAMALANATH_N_Intel

To get more specific alert and actions, you can configure PEF options.

See below formore details:

Platform Event Filtering (PEF) provides a mechanism for configuring the BMC to take selected actions on event

messages that it receives or has internally generated. These actions include operations such as system power-off,

system reset, as well as triggering the generation of an alert.

The BMC maintains an

event filter table that is used to select which events trigger an action and which actions to

perform. Each time the BMC receives an event message (either externally or internally generated) it compares

the event data against the entries in the event filter table. The BMC scans all entries in the table and collects a

set of actions to be performed as determined by the entries that were matched.

question: i didnt understand your last question. In which environment you trying this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

VMware Vsphere 4.1