Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

How I can manage Intel 'software' RAID (Intel C602, Intel 3420, Intel C232) in Microsoft Hyper-V Server?

AStar1
Novice

Good day.

I have three servers with 'software' Intel ICH/Matrix Storage RAID1 and RAID10 under the MS Hyper-V Server 2012.

These servers have old Intel C602, Intel 3420 and Intel C232 chipsets on Supermicro and TYAN motherboards:

TYAN S5502WGM3NR Socket 1156

Supermicro X9SRi-F Socket 2011

Supermicro X11SSL-F-B Socket 1151

How I can manage these arrays in servers cmd consoles (not in BIOS)?

I'm worried that I can skip the failure of some disk in these arrays and do not know about it.

7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AllanStark,

I was reviewing you case and I noticed that you would like to manage your RAID configuration using CMD in Windows Server 2012 according to some details that I found it is possible by using the following utility: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18324/Intel-Matrix-Storage-Manager-command-line-utility Intel® Matrix Storage Manager command line utility.

Nevertheless, this utility will be comparable only with the following operating systems:

- MS-DOS*

- Microsoft* Windows* XP Home Edition,

- Microsoft* Windows* XP Professional,

- Microsoft* Windows* XP 64-bit Edition for 64-bit Extended System

- Microsoft* Windows* 2000 Professional,

- Microsoft* Windows* 2000 Advanced Server,

- Microsoft* Windows* Server 2003,

- Microsoft* Windows* Media Center Edition

Best regards,

Emeth X
AStar1
Novice

Good day.

Thank you for your answer.

Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 has only cmd (command) console.

That's why I need a console utility for monitoring and management, or an installed agent for remote management

This suggested IMSM CLI utility does not work properly:

c:\Intel>RAIDCFG32.exe

Version Check Failure: RaidCfg does not match driver

Internal Error - raidIsmInit Failed (9) - ISM_HARDWARE_UNSUPPORTED

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AllanStark,

Thank you so much for replying back.

So far as I know this software will have compatibility up to Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and R2. By any chance, have you tried to install Windows Server 2008? Just to make sure the information and see if the issue still persists?

Also, Could you please provide us the Driver Version that you are trying to install into the Operating System?

As an addition, I would like to share with you a website *Is not form Intel Website* in which you will see more information about the proper installation of the software using Windows Server 2008 R2.

http://www.ohmancorp.com/RefWin-ServerSetup-IntelSataCmdLineAdmin.asp

Please let me know the outcome and I will be more than happy to proceed with the next step.

Best Regards,

Emeth X

0 Kudos
AStar1
Novice

Good day.

I have three servers under MS Hyper-V Server 2012R2 actually now.

For example on TYAN S5502WGM3NR (with Intel 3420) I have this driver:

Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller

Intel Corporation

Driver date: 2013-08-09T03:00:00+03:00

Driver version: 12.0.1.1019

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AllanStark,

Due to the fact that you are using some servers that are not Intel. I would like to recommend you to contact the manufactures of those motherboards in order to make sure this information and received the most accurate information from them and see if they developed a similar software that can manage the RAID configuration from the CMD.

If you have any other question let me know in order to help you out.

Have a wonderful day,

Best regards,

Emeth X

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AllanStark,

I would like to know if you will need more assistance in this case. If so, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Best Regards,

Emeth X

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AllanStark,

I was reviewing your case and I did not received any outcome from your end. If you have any other question please do not hesitate and contact us back.

Have a wonderful day,

Best Regards,

Emeth X.

0 Kudos