Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

How can I enable boot of NVMe drive in SR1600URHS motherboard bios?

CliffB
Beginner

I have multiple intel servers with SR1600URHS motherboards.  I wish to install and boot from an M.2 NVMe SSD.   How can I get the motherboard to recognize the drive as a bootable device and to boot from it?

The server that I'm trying to do this on has no other drives currently installed. I've run the install of Ubuntu 22.04 from a USB drive and it appears to install correctly, but then,  the server won't boot. It says to install a bootable device (not the exact message, but you get the idea.)

Interestingly, I installed a hot-swappable drive into the system with an earlier version of Ubuntu (20.04) and it ran the boot process, but then continued booting into 22.04 from the NVMe drive. I know that the drive is recognized and usable by the server, but the problem is that it won't BOOT from that drive.

I tried flashing the bios from R0058 to R0066 and then R0069 - two steps per the instructions. The other BIOS versions remain unchanged.  (couldn't find updates for them.)

I know it's an old system, but can this be fixed, or is it just impossible and I'm out of luck?

I'd rather not, but if I have to, I could install a small drive to start the boot.  But then, how do I tell it to use the NVMe Drive once the boot process has started?

Any advice or help is appreciated.

thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoseH_Intel

Hello CliffB,

Thank you for joining the community

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.

For further details you want to check: Support for Intel® Server System SR1600URHS

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos