Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

How can I use syscfg to set SNMP alert destination IP address for BMC (Intel HNS2600BPB)

softwareadmin
Beginner

syscfg /s does not appear to save the IP address I configured for snmp trap alerting in the GUI. I need to be able to set multiple BMC's to alert to the same SNMP IP address and hoped to use syscfg to achieve this (rather than logon each GUI) but cannot find a way of setting the SNMP trap IP address.

I have tried syscfg /lac options but although they dont error they do not seem to be reflected in the GUI as changing anything.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello softwareadmin,

Thank you for joining the community

You want to look and install the Intel SNMP subagent. It contains the MIBs and OIDs needed in order to monitor the server. After been installed this, you might need to look for some 3rd party SNMP management software since syscfg is not supposed to have SNMP capabilities. Let me know if this helps.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello softwareadmin,

I am just following up to double check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this ticket as resolved. This support interaction will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 72 hours if no activity is received.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
softwareadmin
Beginner

Hello Jose,

I have extracted the MIBs and OIDs fine but do not want to use the Intel SNMP subagent as we have other monitoring tools, unless this tool can be specifically used to program the BMC's SNMP configuration ?

So the syscfg /lac and /lae parameters cannot be used to configure SNMP settings on this platform ?

Can you suggest any way where we can program SNMP settings for potentially hundreds of BMCs in an easy way?

Regards.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello softwareadmin,

You don't have to use the Intel SNMP subagent. After the MIBs and OIDs been extracted then you can uninstall it from the system. The Intel SNMP subagent won't do any kind of BMC configuration. It needs to be done manually since there is no mass deployment tool capable to programing the server BIOS.

The syscfg /lac and /lae will change between SNMP and SNTP traps but won't do any configuration either.

For SNMP monitoring you can use any 3rd party software of your preference.

Jose A.

0 Kudos
softwareadmin
Beginner

Yes, I have already extracted and use the MIBs and OIDs.

You state "there is no mass deployment tool capable to programing the server BIOS" but the documentation for syscfg states "The Save and Restore System Configuration utility (SYSCFG) is used for saving and restoring firmware and BIOS settings to a binary/INI file, and for configuring firmware and BIOS settings through a command-line interface.".

So, surely you save the firmware and BIOS settings to a file and then can use this file and the utility to update multiple servers ?

Also, what about SDPTool, the point of that is to allow easy BIOS/FW updating ?

I am fine with SNMP monitoring.

Please answer my specific question, how can I set the BMC's SNMP trap IP address via the Linux CLI.

Regards.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello softwareadmin,

You are correct about the SYSCFG tool is able to save a BIOS settings into a .ini file through a command-line interface.

About the SPDtool will need to research about it.

Now about your specific question when you say the SNMP IP address do you refer the IP the trap needs to be set at or the BMC's IP address? and about the Linux CLI do you need to know if there is a SYSCFG equivalent for Linux or if there are particular commands to do the same functionality of programing BIOS settings?

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello softwareadmin,

I am just following up to double check if you were able to gather the requested information. Otherwise let us know if you require more time to accomplish this.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

This thread will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 72 hours if no activity is received.

Jose A.

0 Kudos
softwareadmin
Beginner

Hello,

To answer your query

"Now about your specific question when you say the SNMP IP address do you refer the IP the trap needs to be set at or the BMC's IP address? "

The SNMP IP trap address needs to be set on the BMC (NOT the BMC's LAN IP address!)

"and about the Linux CLI do you need to know if there is a SYSCFG equivalent for Linux or if there are particular commands to do the same functionality of programing BIOS settings?"

No, we are using syscfg from Linux already!

Regards.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello softwareadmin,

There are no SMNP setting in BMC other than the LAN settings. Check RMM4 User Guide section 4.6.

To get the traps generated by a server (SMNP service needs to be already enabled) from another system you just look for the server IP address (either main NIC or management port NIC) using any 3rd party management software.

Jose A.

0 Kudos
softwareadmin
Beginner

You are wrong, look at page 114 in that manual where you set SNMP alert destinaton 1 and 2....

Can this request be escalated to a backline engineer to better assist me please?

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello softwareadmin,

We have been in contact with our senior level. All the information provided to you has been in someway reviewed with them. Anyhow we will request their assistance one more time to try to get clarification about your issue.

Thanks for your patience

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello softwareadmin,

We received the following reply from one of our senior engineers:

"I've tested Syscfg /lac command (per 4.4.7 section of Syscfg user guide) and it works. Regarding /s command to save SNMP setting, indeed, it's not going to be saved in INI file. My thought is that's the limitation of Syscfg since in user guide there's stated that:

1) Only Index Mapping being saved for SNMP settings (page 46)

2) For LAN Channel settings (page 45) there's a note that IP address saving are not supported. I assume it's the same for SNMP IP-addresses as well.

3) In the example of Syscfg output as INI file (pages 47-52) SNMP IP-addresses are not mentioned too.

We will have a fix in the next BIOS release"

Please let me know if this helps

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello softwareadmin,

I am just following up to double check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this ticket as resolved. This support interaction will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 72 hours if no activity is received.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello softwareadmin,

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos