Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

How do I upgrade the hard drives on my RAID 0 boot volume?

idata
Employee

Hi, all.

I'm using Intel MSC 8.9.1023, and I have a RAID0 volume for my boot drive.

I purchased 2x 500GB drives and want to migrate to a RAID1, but I can't seem to fins a way to migrate to this configuration. I've checked both the online help and the reference content document with no luck.

If my existing RAID configuration was RAID1, I could create a recovery volume, but I have RAID0 so that isn't an option. If I migrate my RAID0 to a RAID5, I still do not have that option. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I don't think you can migrate from RAID 0 to RAID 1 direcly... Seems a full backup-restore is required.

If your current RAID 0 volume is less than 500GB, you can simply create a new RAID 1 volume with the new drives and copy everything directly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, Edward, that sounds like it might be the correct track.

My next question is, how to back this up? It's a Windows machine, so the backup is problematic becauser the drive in question is the boot drive.

i've used products like Carbon Copy cloner and SuperDuper for the Mac, but there doesn't seem to be any product that can do this with the RAID array. I've tried DriveXML and a couple others, but they fail to copy the data to the new drive, probably because the RAID array isn't accessible when the PC reboots.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Disk clone utility that runs in Windows should be able to copy the data.

0 Kudos