Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

How do you find out if a new laptop is compatible to go wireless?

idata
Employee

I reught a recently bought a MSI laptop and have been told that I need to find out if it is compatible to go wireless and what I want to know is how do I find out and if I can download drivers from the Internet on the laptop.

I was told I need WIFI Drivers?,so if I can get some help I would be most appreciative.:0

0 Kudos
6 Replies
William_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your question. There's really no way to completely answer your question without knowing a bit more about your system. Most newer laptops have some type of wireless radio built in that allows easy connection to the wireless world. You can determine what type of device your system has (or doesn't) by right clicking on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop. From there, select "Properties" at the bottom of the menu. This brings you to the "System Properties" menu. Select the "Hardware' tab, then click on "Device Manager". Once inside this menu, look for "Network Adapter" and expand it by clicking on the + sign. From this list, you can then see any wireless devices such as "Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection", which is what my system has. After determining your hardware, you can then decide if the driver software you have is current or needs an update by right clicking on the device and selecting "Properties". Click the "Driver" tab and you should be able to detemine if your driver needs an update. Hope this helps and please let us know.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry my system is Windows Vista and I did what you suggested but did not find wifi or anything about wireless,so what do I do now please.

0 Kudos
JoshHilliker
Employee

When you checked device manager did you have any Unknown devices show up?

also another way to check to see if it's somehow on, but not showing is to go to a command prompt.. then run ipconfig and see what interfaces are showing up. have you checked the OEM web site for the laptop to ensure this model has wireless embedded?

Josh H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I did the command prompt and there is no WIFI in list and looking in OEM I don't know what to look for or do

0 Kudos
JoshHilliker
Employee

Based on what you have above in the post I assume you have a MSI VR600 series. You may have the vr601. I checked their site & their wireless driver install package is @ http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=135&prod_no=1119 I would make sure you have the VR series notebook before you try this install to the wireless drivers, however from the website if you have this product you should have wireless capable.

let us know.

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Referring to your screenshot, you almost reached there however in Windows Vista, the device manager is displayed a bit differently. Referring to the screenshot you posted above, you see a frame on the left of the window with multiple options. Click the top most option that says DEVICE MANAGER ... a prompt will appear asking if you'd like to continue or not, press CONTINUE and you will see the device manager. You will see all the devices listed there, under the NETWORK ADAPTERS tab, you will find what Josh and Whlea have been trying to help you with. See if there are any wireless devices listed under the Network Adapters tab by expanding the tab or see if some unrecognized device is listed. Post your finding to help troubleshoot your problem better, however just for the record, other ways that have been listed here like IPCONFIG should also be able to assist you easily.

Just for the record, were you not provided with any of device drivers discs or product manuals when you purchased this laptop?

0 Kudos