Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4775 Discussions

How is the data storing for JBOD different from a Raid 0?

TNguy96
Beginner

I'm just curious how the data storing works for JBOD (2 drives) compare with a Raid 0 (2 drives). Will JBOD utilizes 1st the 1st drive till it's full before it moves to the 2nd drive?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel

RAID 0 is a striped set without parity. This provides performance and additional storage without fault tolerance. The data is broken into fragments. The number of fragments is ruled by the number of disks in the array. This allows smaller sections of the entire chunk of data to be read off the drive in parallel to increase bandwidth.

JBOD stands for Just a Bunch of disks. This is the combination of multiple physical drives into a single virtual disk. It provides no data redundancy. We have the following presentation for http://www.intelraid.com/?attachment_id=357 JBOD drives.

TNguy96
Beginner

Thank you for the information David.

The presentation is very clear. However I have another question after viewing the presentation

Disk 1: 300G

Disk 2: 300G

Disk 3: 300G

Configuring JBOD: Total logical drive is 900G

If my Data utilizes up to 500G, that means only Disk 1 and Disk 2 have data. In the event that Disk 3 will fail. Can we replace Disk 3 with another HDD or can we still use the JBOD with only Disk 1 and Disk 2?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

If the drive does not contain any data, I would expect to be able to access the information just fine. You may still get some errors from your Operating System when it tries to write data to the space that was supposed to belong to Drive 3.

0 Kudos